Bolts Close Home Schedule with Shutout Win
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts scored three runs in the third inning and got a great pitching performance from their starter, as Windy City earned a series split against the Joliet Slammers after a 7-0 victory in front of 3,022 fans at Standard Bank Stadium for the final time in 2018 Saturday night.
Windy City (38-52) sent eight men to the plate in the third. Blair Beck led off with a triple in front of Joe Becht, who doubled him home to get the Bolts on the board first.
Omar Obregon followed with a single and got into scoring position after a stolen base for Tim Zier, who scored Becht from third base on a fielder's choice. With two outs and Obregon at third, Derek Bangert singled him home to put the ThunderBolts ahead 3-0.
That proved to be more than enough for Bolts' starter Braulio Torres-Perez. Despite allowing 10 baserunners, Torres-Perez managed to strand four Slammers (50-39) in scoring position over seven shutout innings. Joliet finished the contest with 14 men left on base.
In the seventh and eighth innings, Windy City added four runs of insurance. Becht doubled for the second time in the contest and scored on an Obregon RBI single. Obregon later scored on an Axel Johnson RBI to make it 5-0.
In the eighth, Bangert doubled and scored thanks to Riley Krane's triple up the rightfield line. Krane then scored the seventh and final tally on Blair Beck's single up the middle.
Torres-Perez (3-5) earned the win in the ThunderBolts' eighth shutout victory of the season. Joliet starter Taylor Goshen (4-6) took the loss.
Windy City will enjoy two days off before they embark on their final road trip of the season. They begin the six-game trek against the Lake Erie Crushers Tuesday night with Zac Westcott (6-8, 3.36) getting the start.
First pitch is scheduled for 5:35 and fans may listen to the broadcast live on 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 25, 2018
- CornBelters Split Twinbill at Southern Illinois - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Split Saturday Doubleheader with Normal - Southern Illinois Miners
- Beach Bums Take Early Lead to Beat Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie Defeats Washington 5-2 in Game Two of Series - Washington Wild Things
- Otters One-Hit Rascals to Even Series - Evansville Otters
- Otters Snap Rascals' Streak - River City Rascals
- Late Rally Falls Short as Boomers Drop Saturday Night Affair - Schaumburg Boomers
- Bolts Close Home Schedule with Shutout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Drop Fourth Straight - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Take Weekend Series from Grizzlies - Florence Freedom
- Phillips Heading to Twins Organization - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Windy City ThunderBolts, Village of Crestwood, and Ozinga Announce New Stadium Naming Rights
- ThunderBolts Hire Brian Smith as New Field Manager
- Windy City ThunderBolts Unveil Logo for 20th Anniversary in Crestwood and Frontier League
- ThunderBolts Fall to Traverse City in Season Finale
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City