Blues Sign 2011 Impact Rookie Fondy
FULLERTON, Calif. - The Los Angeles Blues are excited to announce they have secured the services of forward Matthew Fondy for the 2012 USL PRO season, pending league approval. The 22-year-old joins the Fullerton-based club following a successful rookie campaign in which he netted twice for a Pittsburgh Riverhounds side that had the second-lowest goal-scoring total of all twelve teams.
Fondy, who hails from Foster City, Calif., played his college soccer at the University of California Santa Cruz, where he was a 2009 NSCAA Division III All-American. After going undrafted, the striker then worked his way onto the Riverhounds roster prior to the 2011 campaign and went on to play in 21 of the club's 24 regular season matches. He scored his first professional goal in a 2-0 win over F.C. New York on May 21.
"Matt sought us out in October and has really grown on us since," Blues Head Coach Charlie Naimo said. "He's a great fit because he's committed, very athletic and knows the grind of the schedule from playing in the league last year. He's improving tactically everyday and we see him as a forward who is versatile enough that he could probably fill other roles for us too. The more he learns to stay calm under pressure, the more complete his game will become and the more positions he'll be able to play."
Fondy got his first up-close look at the Blues on May 22, 2011, when he started and played 67 minutes in the Riverhounds' 3-0 home loss to Charlie Naimo's men.
"They kept possession really well and made us work a lot," the California-native remembered. "Then when I came out here and practiced with the team, that first impression from the game was confirmed and I didn't have to think twice when they offered me a deal.
"I feel like I really fit in with the guys who have already signed for 2012 and with what Charlie and (Associate Head Coach) Shayon (Jalayer) want to do. They are both great coaches and I have no doubt we'll do well this year as a team. Individually, I want to move my career forward by having a standout year and score some goals to help the Blues have a successful season."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Blues Sign 2011 Impact Rookie Fondy - Orange County SC
- Former Cougar Zach Prince Returns to Charleston Battery - Charleston Battery
- Richmond and Charleston Introduce Pioneer Cup - Richmond Kickers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- Orange County SC Match Preview
- Orange County SC Announce Community Partnership with AYSO Section 11
- New England Revolution Loan Winger Mark Segbers to Orange County SC for the 2018 Season
- Defender Alex Crognale Joins Orange County SC on Season Long Loan from Columbus Crew SC
- Goalkeeper Andre Rawls Joins Orange County SC on Season Long Loan from New York City FC