Blaze Sign Gibson, Cannons Sign Denhoff in Player Movement
BOSTON - The Atlanta Blaze on Friday agreed to terms with former New York Lizards attackman Matt Gibson. Additionally, the Boston Cannons agreed to terms with former Rochester Rattlers midfielder Kyle Denhoff. Both Gibson and Denhoff entered into Player Movement earlier this offseason.
Gibson, 27, had 26 goals and seven assists for a career-high 34 points in 12 games for the Lizards in 2017. It marked his second straight season with 26 goals and his third straight season with at least 25 goals. He finished with the fifth-most points on the Lizards and scored a hat trick in six of his 12 games. Aside from two games with Denver in 2014, Gibson has spent his entire career in New York, totaling 106 goals and 38 assists for 145 points in 64 games since 2012. A native of Long Island, Gibson was drafted by Chesapeake with the 38th-overall selection in the 2012 Collegiate Draft, but was traded to the Lizards before ever appearing in a game for the Bayhawks. He went on to win the Cascade Rookie of the Year that season with 18 goals and 15 assists.
As compensation for losing Gibson, the Lizards will receive a third-round pick in the 2018 MLL Collegiate Draft from the Blaze. Gibson is the second former New York player signed by the Blaze this offseason, joining attackman Tommy Palasek.
Denhoff, 27, was named to the All-Star Game for the second straight season in 2017, registering 11 goals, three assists, 15 points and nine groundballs in nine games for Rochester. He had a career-best 21 points in 2016 (14 goals, 6 assists) over 13 games. Denhoff, who hails from Penfield, N.Y. and graduated from St. John Fisher College in Rochester, has spent his entire pro career with the Rattlers after being signed out of the Player Pool in 2013. He has 47 goals, three two-point goals, 12 assists, 62 points and 22 groundballs in five seasons.
The Rattlers will receive a fifth-round pick from Boston in the Collegiate Draft as compensation for Denhoff.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from September 29, 2017
- Blaze Sign Gibson, Cannons Sign Denhoff in Player Movement - Boston Cannons
- Cannons Sign All-Star Kyle Denhoff from The - Boston Cannons
- Outlaws Sign Hawkins in Player Movement - Denver Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Cannons Stories
- 2018 Boston Cannons Announce High School Rivalry Series Presented by Plymouth Rock Assurance
- Boston Cannons Announce New Field-Level Craft Beer Garden for 2018 Season
- Boston Cannons Announce 3rd Annual Coaches Symposium
- BOSTON CANNONS HIRE FORMER BAYHAWKS MVP AS NEW OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
- Boston Cannons Announce "Cannons in Your Community"