Bighorns Announce Partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada
RENO, NEV., November 28, 2012 - The Reno Bighorns and Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Northern Nevada have entered in a partnership that will provide opportunities for Littles and Bigs to enjoy Bighorns basketball and create great experiences.
Big Brothers Big Sisters will hold their annual holiday party at the Sunday, December 2nd Bighorns game. Bigs and Littles will have early access to the Bighorns Kids Zone presented by Sierra Family Jumpers and will be able to shoot hoops on the court with Bighorns players. In addition to the holiday party, the Bighorns mascot, Bruno, appeared on billboards for Big Brothers Big Sisters as part of a campaign to encourage community residents to volunteer as mentors.
There are presently over 200 children waiting to be matched with a "big brother" or "big sister" and Herb Santos, Jr., Bighorns team owner is happy to help.
"These kids are huge basketball fans and their enthusiasm adds to the excitement on the court," said Santos.
"Our organization is honored to have the opportunity to host this year's Big Brothers Big Sisters annual Holiday party," added Santos. "We have been blessed to have Big Brothers Big Sisters and its incredible staff and volunteers who provide guidance, friendship and hope to the youth of our community who face adversity every day. The Bighorns family wants to be a "Big" and give them a night they will remember forever."
As an additional benefit, volunteer mentors with Big Brothers Big Sisters can buy a ticket for any home game for $10.00 and bring their "Littles" for free.
Season tickets also include a price break. Bighorns players will also be making appearances at the Big Brothers Big Sisters offices throughout the season.
Ann Silver, Big Brothers Big Sisters CEO, is thrilled to have a partnership with the Bighorns and knows how much the game experience means to children living in poverty who rarely have a chance to see live entertainment. Her brother, Adam Silver, was recently named the new NBA Commissioner beginning in 2014 so she and Santos talk basketball whenever they get the chance.
"Herb is amazing", Silver said, "and his partnership with us is the kind of collaboration we need more of in this community. There's nothing like the teamwork and skill these kids see on the court to motivate them to reach their own goals in life".
The Bighorns open their fifth season in Reno on Friday, November 30th at 7 p.m. against the Santa Cruz Warriors. Opening Weekend continues on Sunday, December 2nd at 3 p.m. Season tickets and group tickets are on sale today. For more information, fans can call 775-853-8220.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 28, 2012
- Mad Ants Defeat Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Santa Cruz Warriors Add Maurice Baker and Mickell Gladness - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Charge Outlasted by Mad Ants - Canton Charge
- Toros Activate Alexis Wangmene - Austin Spurs
- Los Angeles Lakers Assign Robert Sacre to NBA D-League Affiliate Los Angeles D-Fenders - G League
- Lakers Assign Robert Sacre to D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Ants Acquire Mitchell - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Bighorns Announce Partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Bighorns Stories
- Bighorns Drop Western Conference Semifinals to Lakers
- Coach Martin to Donate One Thousand Tickets to Local Non-Profits for Tuesday's Playoff Game
- Reno Bighorns to Play in Western Conference Semifinals on April 3
- Statement from the Reno Bighorns and Sacramento Kings Regarding the Passing of Zeke Upshaw
- Bighorns Earn Pacific Division Title with Win over Warriors