Bethlehem Steel FC Acquires Defender Walter Cortes
CHESTER, Pa. - Bethlehem Steel FC announced today that the club has acquired defender Walter Cortes (pronunciation: WALL-ter cor-TES) via loan. A 19-year-old defender from San Jose, Costa Rica, Cortes becomes the 11th player on Steel FC's 2019 roster. The deal is pending league and federation approval. Cortes will be added to the Steel's active roster following receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P1 Visa.
"We are very excited to have Walter joining Steel this year," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "He is a skilled, intelligent player that brings passion and discipline to Steel's young squad with great potential to develop further with us."
Cortes joins Steel FC from Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica's top-flight Liga FPD. Cortes featured heavily for Saprissa's youth squad. Deportivo Saprissa has won Liga FPD a record 34 times, including most recently winning the Costa Rican Apertura championship in 2018.
"Walter has impressed so far in preseason, with dogged determination on the defensive side of the ball and good technical ability and passing range on the offensive side of the ball," said Steel FC Head Coach Brendan Burke. "We are excited for him to challenge the core of first-team left backs in the coming months."
On the international stage, Cortes featured for Costa Rica's Under-20 National Team during the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, scoring one goal in two starts and recording clean sheets in both of his appearances during the competition. Cortes started in Costa Rica's matches against Bermuda (November 1) and Barbados (November 4), scoring in the match against Bermuda and helping the Costa Rican's win both matches by scores of 5-0 ad 2-0 respectively. The defender's efforts helped Panama's U-20s go undefeated in the competition, before falling to the United States U-20 National Team on November 17.
TRANSACTION: Bethlehem Steel FC acquires defender Walter Cortes via loan on February 28, 2019.
Name: Walter Cortes
Kit Number: 47
Weight: 156 lb.
Born: February 5, 2000
Hometown: San Jose, Costa Rica
Citizenship: Costa Rica
Acquired: Bethlehem Steel FC acquires defender Walter Cortes via loan on February 28, 2019
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 28, 2019
- Republic FC Will Host Two Nationally Broadcast Matches on the ESPN Network for the First Time in Club History - Sacramento Republic FC
- Nashville SC to Play on National TV Twice in 2019 USL Championship Season - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Square Off Against Nashville SC - Indy Eleven
- New Mexico United Partners with KraneShares on Inaugural Away Jersey - New Mexico United
- NCFC to Feature on ESPN3 and ESPNews in July and August - North Carolina FC
- Hartford Athletic Featured on ESPN as USL Championship's Game of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- STLFC to Feature on ESPN3 Game of the Week - Saint Louis FC
- Bigger, Better, Bolder - ESPN Game of the Week Schedule Unveiled for USL Championship - USL
- ESPN to Televise Memphis 901 FC's Match against ATL UTD 2 at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 Fresno FC Jersey Reveal Tongiht at 7pm at Tioga-Sequoia - Fresno FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Acquires Defender Walter Cortes - Philadelphia Union II
- Loudoun United FC to Host a Jersey Reveal Event on Saturday - Loudoun United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union II Stories
- Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Regular-Season Schedule
- Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Home Opener
- Philadelphia Union USL Championship Team to Rebrand as Union II
- Bethlehem Steel FC Announce Roster News Ahead of 2020 Season
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston