BayBears Take Final Game from Shuckers 4-2
BILOXI, MS - After taking a brief lead in the fourth inning, the Biloxi Shuckers (76-48, 35-19 2nd Half) allowed three unanswered runs to the Mobile BayBears (44-77, 17-36) in a 4-2 defeat on Saturday night at MGM Park. The BayBears claim the last ever game between the two franchises' and snap the Shuckers winning streak at ten game.
Mobile struck first with a run in the third inning. Jahmai Jones double with one out and moved to third on a failed pickoff attempt by catcher Alexander Alvarez. Jones raced in to score on a wild pitch during the next at bat, putting Mobile up 1-0.
Biloxi rallied to take the lead in the home half of the fourth. Weston Wilson started the inning with a walk and moved to third on a double by Dillon Thomas. Two batters later, Bruce Caldwell grounded out to second, driving in Wilson to tie the game at 1-1. C.J. Hinojosa worked a walk and Ryan Aguilar gave the Shuckers the lead with an RBI single to right.
In the top of the fifth, Jones drew a one-out walk and advanced to third on single by Brandon Marsh. Jack Kruger lifted a fly ball to deep right field in the next at bat, allowing Jones to tag up and score on the sacrifice, bringing the game even at 2-2. Shuckers starter RHP Alec Bettinger finished his outing by retiring seven of the final eight batters he faced, pitching seven innings and allowing just two runs on five hits.
The game would remain tied until the top of the eighth inning. Jhona Urena double off the right-field wall and Jordan Zimmerman followed with a double to left against RHP Rodrigo Benoit (L, 1-1) putting Mobile ahead 3-2. Benoit would load the bases on a walk and hit by pitch, and Connor Justus supplied an insurance run with a sacrifice fly to center, extending the BayBears advantage to 4-2.
After putting a man on third and failing to score in the eighth against RHP Joe Gatto (W, 5-3), the Shuckers brought the winning run to the plate in the ninth. Hinojosa singled off RHP Jesus Castillo (S, 1) with one out and Aguilar moved him to third with a ground-rule double. Alvarez struck out swinging for the second out and Castillo induced a lineout to center from Clayton Andrews, sealing the ballgame for Mobile.
The Shuckers now head to Riverwalk Stadium to begin a five-game series with the Montgomery Biscuits starting on Sunday afternoon at 5:05 pm. Biloxi is scheduled to send RHP Bowden Francis (6-7, 3.86) to the hill in the series opener against Biscuits RHP Paul Campbell (7-4, 3.21). The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 17, 2019
- M-Braves Blanked in Front of 5,473 Fans for Pediatric Cancer Awareness Night - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits Wear Down Generals, 8-7 - Jackson Generals
- BayBears Take Final Game from Shuckers 4-2 - Biloxi Shuckers
- BayBears Salvage Series Finale against Shuckers - Mobile BayBears
- Jumbo Shrimp Shut out Smokies to Take Rubber Match - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Rally Again, Top Generals, 8-7 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Not Perfect But Almost against Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Blank Braves in Series Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Diaz & Rogers Power Shrimp to 2-0 Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: August 17 vs. Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 17 at Tennessee - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bailey Ober dazzles in debut as Blue Wahoos get series win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Trent Grisham Named Brewers Minor League Player of the Year
- Tough to the End - Shuckers Fall in Game Five
- Series Saved as Shuckers Force Game 5 in Jackson
- Saladino Option Transferred to Biloxi, Hinojosa Transferred to San Antonio
- Shuckers Silenced in Game 3 by Generals