BattleWings Fall to Albany Firebirds 54-41
Bossier City, LA- The Bossier-Shreveport BattleWings fell to the Albany Firebirds 54-41 Saturday night, dropping their record to 2-4 on the 2009 season. The BattleWings drew first blood when WR Buchie Ibeh hauled in a 5 yard touchdown pass from Kinsmon Lancaster 5:50 into the contest. Wings' FB Jason Schule followed Firebirds' QB Stephen Wasil's 1 yard touchdown run with his 1 yard score to give the BattleWings a 14-7 lead at the end of the first quarter. Firebird WR/DB Christian Wise kicked off the second quarter with a 28 yard touchdown reception from QB Stephen Wasil. The two teams traded scores the rest of the quarter as WR Buchie Ibeh added two more touchdowns (18 and 22 yards) for the BattleWings, while Firebirds' WR's Alvin Ray Jackson and Christian Wise each added another score for their team to end the half trailing 28-26.
Albany wrestled the lead away from the Wings' early in the third quarter when WR/DB Christian James caught his 3rd touchdown of the night. The BattleWings quickly reclaimed the lead when FB Jason Schule rumbled 19 yards for his second touchdown of the evening. That would prove to be the last time the BattleWings held the advantage on the scoreboard as Albany's defense tightened up and their offense began to hit on all cylinders. The Firebirds defense held the BattleWings' offense to only 13 second half points, largely due to 2 interceptions in the red zone. The Firebirds' offense, not to be outdone by their defensive counterparts, posted 28 second half. QB Stephen Wasil led the second half Firebird offensive assault with 3 passing touchdowns and a rushing score in the final two quarters.
The BattleWings travel to Lexington, Kentucky next week to take on the Kentucky Horsemen. The Wings' return home May 22nd to take on Southwest division rival Rio Grande Valley.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 10, 2009
- Shock come away with a close win over Boise, 64-62 - Spokane Shock
- BattleWings Fall to Albany Firebirds 54-41 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Lightning Caught at the Wire - Stockton Lightning
- Pirates pressed by the Iron - Peoria Pirates
- Fever Roar Back for First Win - Tri-Cities Fever
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings Stories
- Tulsa Trounces Wings Once Again
- BattleWings Make Unprecedented Move in Bossier-Shreveport
- Yad Dawgz Bruatlize BattleWings in Bossier
- BattleWings to Celebrate Fire Fighters
- BattleWings host pre-season game for Haiti Relief