Battery Welcomes Islanders
Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery welcomes the Puerto Rico Islanders to Blackbaud Stadium Saturday night; gates open at 6:30 PM, kick off is set for 7:30 PM. The Battery enters the game unbeaten (2-0-1, 7 points, 4th place); The Islanders (2-2-1, 7 points, 5th place) notched a 3-1 home win last weekend versus Portland; this is Puerto Rico's first road game of the season.
The Battery plays the Islanders four times this year, Charleston travels to Puerto Rico in June for a pair of games (06/10 & 06/11); the final match is at Blackbaud Stadium on August 9.
In 2005 the Battery split a two game series with the Islanders wining 2-1 at home and losing by a score of two goals to one on the road.
In its last outing the Charleston Battery defeated the powerhouse Montreal Impact last Saturday night at Blackbaud Stadium. Ben Hollingsworth (PK), Omar Daley and Gavin Glinton each scored as the Battery downed Montreal for the first time since 2003.
Puerto Rico's sole loss so far was suffered at the hands of the Montreal Impact who won 1-0 in Puerto Rico back on April 30. Former Islanders forward Mauricio Salles scored the lone goal.
Last Sunday Puerto Rico defeated the Portland Timbers by a score of three goals to one. Former Charleston Battery forward Caleb Norkus scored twice, Alejandro Gonzales notched the third goal.
Puerto Rico is led by first year head coach Jorge Alvial; a native of Chile Alvial played professionally in the US and in Chile. Alvial has previous coaching experience in the US with the Jacksonville Cyclones.
It's Family Night on Saturday presented by Charleston Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the Little Black Book for Every Busy Woman. Families can get 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 sodas for only $28, a $20 saving. Regular tickets are available priced at $8 - $15, to purchase tickets or for more information please call (843) 971-GOAL (4625) or visit www.charlestonbattery.com.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from May 19, 2006
- Victoria Day Doubleheader - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Thunder adds reserve team in 2006 - Minnesota Thunder
- Silverbacks men prepare for Charleston - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Battery Welcomes Islanders - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display
- Time Change: Charleston Battery V Bethlehem Steel FC
- Battery Strengthen Playoff Hopes, Eliminates Memphis in 2-0 Win
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun
- Battery Hold Birmingham to Scoreless Draw