Australian WNT Goal Scorer and NWSL Champion Katrina Gorry Joins Utah Royals FC
SANDY, Utah (Wednesday, February, 14, 2018 ) - Utah Royals FC have signed MF Katrina "Mini" Gorry, an Australian Women's National Team standout, General Manager Craig Waibel and Head Coach Laura Harvey announced today. Bringing experience from leagues in Asia, Australia and the United States and a former NWSL champion with FC Kansas City, Gorry returns to stateside boasting a rÃ©sumÃ© of highlight goals, trophies and accolades.
"Katrina is a player that I have watched for a few years now, she has experience of playing in the U.S. with FC Kansas City, said Harvey. "Since she was here, she has gone away and developed her game further, and now together we felt it was the right time for her to come back to the league. Katrina has proven she can play anywhere in the world and I'm excited to get her back to the NWSL."
Widely known for winning both the Asia Football Confederation's Player of the Year and Australia Player of the Year awards in 2014, Gorry arrives to Salt Lake from her hometown of Sunnybank, Australia, where she starred for the Brisbane Roar in Australia's Premier W-League. The Queensland product has been playing at the international level since she was a teenager, currently holding 59 caps with 14 goals for the "Matildas" (the nickname given to the Aussie Women's squad).
Gorry clinched an NWSL title in 2014 when playing for FC Kansas City, appearing in 10 matches and scoring one goal. Aside from Canada and Mexico, there are more international players from Australia in the NWSL than any other country. The Matilda star also spent some time playing in Japan for Vegalta Sendai, where she earned 14 caps in 2017.
Nicknamed "Mini", the five-foot phenom excels at dribbling past more imposing players in the midfield, demonstrating an eye for goal, bagging 39 goals over her international and club career. A fast-paced midfielder, a majority of her highlights include quick strikes from outside the penalty box - like dangerous free kicks - soaring into the net before goalkeepers can react.
Gorry's soccer career began by competing with the premier boy's leagues in Queensland until she was 15 years old, where she then signed for Adelaide United in the Australian W-League. Gorry made her debut for Australia in 2012 as a substitute against Asian Football Confederation rival, Japan.
Player: Katrina Gorry
Height: 5 feet
Date of Birth: August 13, 1992
Hometown: Sunnybank, Queensland, Australia
Previous Club: Brisbane Roar FC (Australia)
How acquired: International signing on February 14, 2018
Utah Royals FC kick off its inaugural campaign with road games on the weekends of both March 24 and March 31 prior to an international break in early April, finally christening its Rio Tinto Stadium home on Saturday, April 14 at 1:30 p.m. MT (opponent TBD). Season tickets for the 2018 Utah Royals FC season are now on sale via www.RSL.com/NWSL or by calling 844.Real.Tix.
Preparations for the NWSL's sixth season commence locally in Herriman, Utah, on Monday, February 19, when the club's available preseason roster convenes for its initial sessions at the world-class Zions Bank Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from February 14, 2018
- Washington Spirit Elects Not to Retain NWSL Rights to Goalkeeper Stephanie LabbÃ© - Washington Spirit
- Four Red Stars Named to Preliminary Roster for 2018 SheBelieves Cup - Chicago Red Stars
- Utah Royals FC Finalize Preseason Roster with Acquisition of Norway International Elise Thornses and Signing of DF Brittany Taylor Kolmel - Utah Royals FC
- Orlando Pride Adds Australian International Emily Van Egmond - Orlando Pride
- Australian WNT Goal Scorer and NWSL Champion Katrina Gorry Joins Utah Royals FC - Utah Royals FC
- Record Five Washington Spirit Players Called up for U.S. Women's National Team SheBelieves Cup Camp - Washington Spirit
- Carli Lloyd, Savannah McCaskill Named to Preliminary Roster for 2018 SheBelieves Cup - Sky Blue FC
- Two Houston Dash Players Named to USWNT Roster for February Camp - Houston Dash
- Crystal Dunn, Lynn Williams, Abby Dahlkemper Named to USWNT Preliminary Roster for 2018 SheBelieves Cup - North Carolina Courage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC FW Amy Rodriguez Named 2018 URFC Humanitarian of the Year
- Utah Royals FC Keeps Core Intact for 2019 Season
- Zions Bank Real Academy to Host Generation Adidas Fall Regional
- Utah Royals FC to Host First U.S. Soccer C License Course for 21 NWSL Players
- Utah Royals FC Defender Becky Sauerbrunn Named to NWSL Best XI