ArenaBowl XV MVP Terrill Shaw Returns to Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, MI - The Grand Rapids Rampage announced today that offensive specialist and ArenaBowl XV MVP Terrill Shaw has rejoined the team for the 2002 season after being released from his NFL contract.
Shaw (6-0, 175, Southern Mississippi), who signed with the Kansas City Chiefs on January 11, chose to opt out of his Chiefs contract after he was released from the Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe. The former Southern Mississippi standout was one of eleven Chiefs that were allocated to NFL Europe back in February. He attended training camp with the defending World Bowl Champion Thunder in Tampa Bay, Florida, but was part of team's final cuts last Monday.
"Terrill is the battery of our offense. He can electrify our attack anytime he is on the field," said Michael Trigg, Rampage head coach and director of football operations. "His return is great news for us given how strong the Central Division is shaping up in 2002 and we will need to be at full strength by opening week against Detroit. It will be fun to watch what kind of production is possible with Terrill in the lineup for a full season."
Shaw returns to Grand Rapids for his first full season. He joined the Rampage mid-season last year after being released by the Buffalo Destroyers. In only eight regular season games, Shaw ended up leading the team in receiving yards (1,002) and touchdowns (23). His astounding regular season performance continued right into the playoffs, leading the number one seeded Rampage all the way to ArenaBowl XV. In the two playoff games prior to ArenaBowl, Shaw led all receivers with 185 yards and five touchdowns. Then on August 19th before a sold-out Van Andel Arena, Shaw guided his team to a 64-42 ArenaBowl XV victory with 12 catches for 172 yards and a record-setting five touchdowns, earning ArenaBowl XV MVP honors.
Shaw, 26, currently ranks among the Rampage's single-season leaders in scoring (3rd), receiving touchdowns (2nd), receiving yards (4th) and receptions (4th). He also is tied for third on the Rampage all-time list in scoring and receiving touchdowns.
The former Buffalo Destroyer will be in the lineup for the Rampage when the team travels to Buffalo for their preseason finale this Thursday, April 11 at the HSBC Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from April 8, 2002
- San Jose SaberCats Weekly Notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Rampage Finish the Preseason at Buffalo on Thursday - Grand Rapids Rampage
- ArenaBowl XV MVP Terrill Shaw Returns to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Turner South to Air Five Georgia Force Arena Football League Games - Georgia Force
- Arena Football League Transactions - AFL I
- Georgia vs. San Jose Game Notes - Georgia Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Rampage Stories
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz Hold Open Player Tryout in Grand Rapids
- Former Rampage Player Leif Murphy Back with the IFL's Storm
- Rage Dance Team Pom & Dance Challenge
- Rage Dance Team to Perform at Davenport Basketball Games
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future