Andrzejewski scores 2 in 5-0 win over Richmond Kickers Destiny
The Washington Freedom seemed right at home in its first appearance in three years at RFK. With early possession and a quick change in the point of attack, Jenn Parsons rounded the Richmond defense and set up Ali Andrzejewski in the 2nd minute to put the Freedom ahead for good. In the 13th minute, Christie Welsh turned provider as she played a nice ball back into the path of Lori Lindsey, who bent a left-footed shot just over the outstretched hands of Richmond keeper Chantel Jones and off the underside of the crossbar to make the score 2-0.
Welsh and Andrezjewski each added unassisted goals in the 29th and 37th minutes to give the Freedom a 4-0 halftime lead. Both teams liberally substituted for the second half, using all players available. The Freedom still maintained a decisive advantage in possession, but Jones and defender Nikki Krzyck prevented any further scoring until the 78th minute. Freedom midfielder Rebecca Moros put Anabel Jimenez in alone with Jones, and she was able to lift the ball into the right hand corner to make it 5-0.
"This game was a great opportunity for us as a club to play in RFK in front of many DC United and Freedom fans that have supported us in the past. I think we played pretty well, and am pleased with the fact that everyone got the chance to play in such a professional environment."-Head Coach Jim Gabarra
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from June 24, 2008
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs