Ambush Fall to Comets Sunday in Independence
Independence, MO - The St. Louis Ambush dropped a 10-6 contest to the Kansas City Comets Sunday afternoon at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in Independence. The Ambush came away with an 8-9 record, while Kansas City improved to 8-7.
The Ambush led 2-1 at the end of the first quarter, thanks to goals from Lucas Almeida and former Comets player Anthony Grant. Kevin Ellis scored the lone tally for Kansas City on a power play.
Kansas City took a 4-3 lead into halftime on second period goals by Ellis, Gui Gomes and Adam James. Ambush forward Duduca provided their offense in the quarter when he posted a goal in the first minute of a power play.
The Comets opened things up in the third quarter by outscoring the Ambush 4-1. Gomes tallied his second of the afternoon, followed by Robert Palmer, John Sosa and Ignacio Flores. Pablo Da Silva scored the lone goal for the Ambush in the period and the home team carried an 8-4 lead into the final frame.
Each team scored twice in the fourth quarter. Lucas Rodriguez and Kiel Williams put the ball in goal for the Comets, while Almeida scored his second of the match for the Ambush, along with the final goal of the game from JT Thomas.
Games between these cross-state rivals are frequently hard-fought and physical and Sunday's contest was no different. Referees pulled cards from their pockets ten times, charging St. Louis with three blue cards and four yellow cards, while the Comets collected three blue cards.
Next up for the Ambush is a home contest at the Family Arena when the Ontario Fury come to town Friday, February 21 at 7:35 p.m. CST. Single game tickets for the remainder of the 2019-20 season are on sale and can be purchased at the Family Arena box office or at ticketmaster.com. Groups of 10 or more can purchase their discounted tickets by calling the Ambush office at 636-477-6363.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 16, 2020
- Wave Take Down First Place Florida Tropics in Overtime - Milwaukee Wave
- Monday Matinee against Fury - San Diego Sockers
- Comets Clobber St. Louis, Support Charity - Kansas City Comets
- Tropics Nine-Game Win Streak Ends in OT as Milwaukee Nips Florida, 6-5 - Florida Tropics SC
- Stars Drop Sunday Matinee in Mesquite 5-2 - Tacoma Stars
- Ambush Fall to Comets Sunday in Independence - St. Louis Ambush
- Mesquite Outlaws Halt Losing Streak with Win vs. Tacoma Stars - Mesquite Outlaws
- Stars Go for Weekend Texas Sweep Sunday in Mesquite - Tacoma Stars
- Heat Lose to Blast in Baltimore 7-4 - Harrisburg Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.