2020 Delmarva Shorebirds Baseball Season Shelved
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, Major League Baseball (MLB) informed Minor League Baseball (MiLB) that it will not be providing its affiliated MiLB teams with players for the 2020 season. As a result, there will not be a MiLB season which includes the Delmarva Shorebirds, who were set to open their 25th anniversary season in 2020 which is now officially shelved.
"We are disappointed that the 2020 season will not be played, but we remain committed to providing a first-class atmosphere while ensuring people's safety and health when visiting with us," said Shorebirds General Manager Chris Bitters. "As always, we will continue to support our community during this challenging time and look forward to having Shorebirds baseball back at Arthur W. Perdue stadium in 2021."
For all our 2020 partners, season ticket members, groups, silver sluggers, individual ticket holders, staff, and fans, we will be reaching out through separate communication in the very near future for the next steps in regard to your account with the Delmarva Shorebirds organization. We thank everyone for your continued support, understanding, and patience during this challenging time.
"Even though we are not able to play Shorebirds baseball here in 2020, we are still devoted to providing Delmarva with a fun, family atmosphere within the proper health guidelines," discussed Bitters. "It is our goal to transition the stadium into a community entertainment center in the meantime, while we will continue to plan for making the 2021 season and the years to come some of our best years yet."
Adhering with all guidelines, the Shorebirds are currently planning numerous events at Arthur W. Perdue stadium that will serve as fun, family entertainment for all. All event information will be distributed via Shorebirds social media, the website (theshorebirds.com), and through email once more information becomes available.
As we all continue to work through this together as a community, please know that we are committed to providing our fans with a first-class atmosphere and service while putting our fans first. We hope that everyone remains safe and healthy and we are looking forward to welcoming back Shorebirds baseball in 2021.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 30, 2020
- RiverDogs Make 2020 Season Announcement - Charleston RiverDogs
- Augusta GreenJackets Baseball Club Will Not Play 2020 Season - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Braves, MiLB Season Scratched - Rome Braves
- 2020 Delmarva Shorebirds Baseball Season Shelved - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2020 Season Shutout - Hagerstown Suns
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Lexington Legends
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Columbia Fireflies Lose 2020 Baseball Season - Columbia Fireflies
- 2020 Minor League Season Shelved - West Virginia Power
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- 2020 MiLB Season Cancelled - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Shorebirds & Preston Automotive Group Raise over $10,000 in Funds and Toys to Support the Fight against Cancer
- 'Birds Cap off 2021 Season with Electric Win over Red Sox
- Early Deficit Dooms 'Birds in Loss to Red Sox
- Seven-Run Fifth Pushes 'Birds Past Red Sox for Third Straight Win
- Billy Cook Powers 'Birds to Extra-Inning Win over Red Sox