Blaze Assigned WR Macon, DL JohnsonJuly 10, 2013 - Arena Football League (AFL) - Utah Blaze
Johnson (6-2, 260, North Alabama) started 44 games at North Alabama, where he registered 365 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 31.5 stops for loss, five interceptions, nine pass breakups, four fumble recoveries and six forced fumbles. He was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent in 2010.
"Mike is a physical player with good speed off the edge," said Head Coach Ron James. "With his size, he can play a few different positions for us and I'm excited to see what he brings to our pass rush."
Macon (5-7, 170, New Mexico Highlands) played his final two collegiate at New Mexico Highlands. An all-purpose threat, Macon totaled 39 receptions for 368 yards and two touchdowns while adding 562 yards and another score on 24 kick returns, 98 yards on 30 rushing attempts, and 16 yards on two punt returns. Prior to transferring to New Mexico Highlands, Macon played at Santa Monica College.
"LaVaughn is an athletic receiver with speed and quickness. He has big play ability any time he touches the ball. We're thrilled to add a player of LaVaughn's caliber at this point in the season."
The Utah Blaze (5-10) travel east to take on the Philadelphia Soul (10-5) on Friday, July 12. The game can be heard exclusively on 97.5 FM The Zone with Scott Garrard providing play-by-play coverage, or streamed online at http://blaze.arenafootball.com/allaccess/. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:35 p.m. MT.
Arena Football League Stories from July 10, 2013
- Soul Eye First-Seed in Playoffs; Host Utah Blaze - Philadelphia Soul
- Blaze Assigned WR Macon, DL Johnson - Utah Blaze
- Jacksonville out for revenge in rematch with Spokane - Jacksonville Sharks
- Soul to Hold Town Takeover - Philadelphia Soul
- Shock vs. Sharks - Game Preview - Spokane Shock
- Shock in the Community - Spokane Shock
- Week 17 Preview: Talons Host Tampa Bay - San Antonio Talons
- VooDoo vs. Rattlers - Game Preview - New Orleans VooDoo
- Blaze vs. Soul - Game Preview - Utah Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.