Weekly WarriorDecember 3, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The Road Warriors began this week with a home game against the Reading Royals then had a two game weekend trip in Florida against the Everblades. Reading continued their winning ways against the Road Warriors with a 6-3 win on Wednesday night. The Royals scored three third period goals to knock off the home squad. Greenville's road trip began nicely with a come from behind victory on Friday night against the Everblades. The 5-4 victory was completed in a shootout as Nathan Lieuwen stopped all four shots and Brandon Wong and Francis Verreault scored the shootout goals. Marc-Olivier Vallerand had an impressive night with one assist and two goals, one on the power play and one shorthanded. The Everblades secured their first victory of the season against the Road Warriors on Saturday night by a score of 4-3. Greenville attempted a comeback once again after a last minute goal by Vallerand, but fell short.
Teddy Bear Toss & Week Ahead
The Greenville Road Warriors will host the Gwinnett Gladiators on Friday night at 7 p.m. which includes the Teddy Bear Toss, benefitting the Greenville U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program. Greenville Road Warriors' fans are encouraged to bring stuffed animals to throw on the ice after the first goal of the game is scored. On Saturday, December 8, the bears will be taken to Sitton Buick located at 2640 Laurens Road. The Toys for Tots rally will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Greenville Road Warriors players and Rowdy the Warrior will accompany Greenville Toys for Tots and Sitton Buick and assist with distributing the toys.
Saturday will be the second part of the home and home series at Gwinnett. Faceoff is slated for a 7:05 p.m. start. The Road Warriors are currently four points behind the division leader and carry a 2-1 record against the Gladiators. Both Greenville victories have come in dramatic fashion. Brandon Wong scored an overtime winner on October 20th and Steven Delisle won the game with six seconds left on November 17th.
The weekend will conclude on Sunday as the Road Warriors host the South Carolina Stingrays at 4 p.m. The Road Warriors will don their third jerseys, featuring the colors and style of their NHL affiliate; the New York Rangers, for the second time this year. Family Fun Day returns as fans can present their BI-LO Bonuscard and receive up to four free tickets in the BI-LO Family Fun Section, while supplies last. After the game, fans are invited to the ice for a post game skate with the Road Warriors players. Greenville had only played South Carolina once this year. The only meeting was a 5-2 victory on October 19th, the Home Opener.
Streaks and Stats
-Brandon Wong ranks tied for 10th in the ECHL in points with 23.
-Greenville is 9-2-1 against the South Division.
-Mike Marcou and Steven Delisle are tied for fourth in the ECHL with a +12 rating.
-Marc-Oliviver Vallerand leads the team with 1.17 points per game
The Road Warriors received forwards Andrew Yogan and Jason Wilson last week from the Connecticut Whale.
Yogan, 20, has played in 11 games this season with the Whale. The Coral Springs, Florida native has spent six seasons in the Ontario Hockey League amassing 96 goals, 90 assists, and 287 penalty minutes in 240 games. Yogan was drafted in 2010 by the New York Rangers in the fourth round, 100th overall.
Wilson, 22, played in 56 games with the Road Warriors last season scoring 4 goals, 10 assists, and 102 penalty minutes. He was drafted in 2010 by the New York Rangers in the fifth round, 130th overall. Wilson hails from Richmond Hill, Ontario.
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2012
- Thunder Weekly: Second Place Thunder Hosts Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Former Wranglers Goaltender Marc Magliarditi Named to ECHL Hall of Fame - Las Vegas Wranglers
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Weekly: Condors Split Weekend Series; Three Games on Tap - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 3 - ECHL
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Announces 2013 Hall of Fame Class - ECHL
- Road Warriors Teddy Bear Toss on Friday December 7 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Christmas Parade and Coat Drive - Bakersfield Condors
- Aces back in familiar position - ECHL
- Edmonton Reassigns RW Toni Rajala to Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Split Pair at Gwinnett; Open Three-Game Series at Orlando Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Host Teddy Bear Toss Friday - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Loans D Nathan Deck to Oklahoma City - Stockton Thunder
- Radio Recon Might Sit in the Lotus Position for this One - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Weekly: College Pride Night and Teddy Bear Toss this Weekend - South Carolina Stingrays
- Evansville IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.