Road Warriors Finish Road Trip with Shootout VictoryOctober 28, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Greenville Road Warriors
The Road Warriors traveled to Orlando for their first ever matchup against the newest member of the South Division. The Road Warriors opened the first period with two goals coming from Shayne Wiebe and Sean Berkstresser. Like Saturday's tilt with the Florida Everblades, the Road Warriors saw their early lead vanish as Orlando recorded the next four goals of the game. Olivier Fortier put the Solar Bears on the board with a power play goal to cut the Road Warriors lead to one heading into the first intermission.
The Solar Bears carried that momentum into the second. Kevin Baker added another power play to tie the game. Kyle Medvec and Ryan Cruthers each tallied a goal, giving Orlando the 4-2 lead heading into the third period.
The Road Warriors battled back in the third. Marc-Olivier Vallerand would start the scoring for Greenville, collecting his third goal of the season. Rob Mignardi brought the Solar Bears lead back to two with a goal just three minutes later. In the final three minutes the Road Warriors would stir a comeback of their own. Jordie Johnston deflecting a Rob Kwiet shot in the net to cut the Solar Bears' lead to one. Berkstresser continued his late game heroics, tying the game 11 seconds left to force overtime.
The Solar Bears controlled the overtime period, putting seven shots on net but not converting on any. The game remained tied as time expired in overtime, forcing the shootout. The Road Warriors dominated the shootout. Wiebe, Francis Verreault and Brandon Wong scored on each of their attempts. Nathan Lieuwen stopped all three attempts by the Solar Bears, securing the win for the Road Warriors. Lieuwen recorded 28 saves to get his first win as a Road Warrior. Mike Brodeur would take the loss for Orlando stopping 25 of 30 shots.
The Road Warriors return home on November 2nd and for Road Warrior Tailgate Weekend presented by HOT98.1 and X98.5. The first 1,500 Fans in the door receive a college colored koozie at Friday night's game! Fans can enjoy FREE FOOD FROM CHIEFS WINGS AND FIREWATER, DISCOUNTED DRINKS AND LIVE ENTERTAINMENT at the Road Warriors Hockey Happy Hour presented by HOT 98.1 and X98.5 starting at 5 p.m. at the Charter Business Plaza. On Saturday, the first 1,500 fans will receive a college colored knit cap! To purchase tickets for Road Warriors Tailgate Weekend visit the BI-LO Center Box Office or ticketmaster.com!
ECHL Stories from October 28, 2012
- Condors Take Point in Overtime Loss to Stockton, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Gladiators Ice Evansville, 5-2 - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Solar Bears Outlasted in 6-5 Shootout Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Road Warriors Finish Road Trip with Shootout Victory - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Transactions - October 28 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder vs. Bakersfield Condors - Stockton Thunder
- Goaltender Philipp Grubauer Assigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Wranglers, Three Square Food Bank Host "Fill the Mayflower" Food Drive - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Greenville Road Warriors Today - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - October 28 - ECHL
- Weber, Madaisky Assigned by Columbus - Evansville IceMen
- Dubinsky's Hat Trick Leads Aces to 5-2 Win over Bulls - Alaska Aces
- Stockton Holds Back Condors Rally, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder improves to 3-1-1 with multi point games - Stockton Thunder
- Lampe's Late Goal Lifts Las Vegas to 4-3 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Beat Idaho 5-4 in Shootout as Top Two in West Clash - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Stopped in Shootout, 5-4 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.