Baumgartner Retires, Named Wolves Assistant CoachJuly 6, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Chicago Wolves
BAUMGARTNER wrapped up his 16-year professional career last season by sharing first among team defensemen with 20 assists and second among team blueliners with 22 points in 60 games with the Wolves. He also served as Chicago's captain last year and tallied two assists and a +3 plus/minus rating in five Calder Cup playoff outings.
"Nolan is one of the ultimate professionals in the hockey world," said Wolves general manager WENDELL YOUNG. "He was very well-respected by his teammates during his playing career and I witnessed first-hand last year the players in our room follow his actions. He is a natural leader and a welcome addition to our coaching staff and will be an excellent complement to new head coach Scott Arniel."
The 36-year-old BAUMGARTNER tallied 83 goals, 307 assists, 390 points, and 815 penalty minutes in 878 career American Hockey League contests with the Portland Pirates, Norfolk Admirals, Manitoba Moose, Philadelphia Phantoms, Iowa Stars and the Wolves. He also accrued 29 points (4G, 25A) and 85 penalty minutes in 86 career Calder Cup playoff outings, which included an appearance in the 2009 Calder Cup finals as a member of the Manitoba Moose.
The Calgary, Alberta, native also posted 40 assists, 47 points, and 67 penalty minutes in 143 career National Hockey League outings with the Washington Capitals, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars.
In accordance with team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
For information on season tickets or group outings for the 2012-13 season, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit chicagowolves.com.
American Hockey League Stories from July 6, 2012
- =Jeff Beukeboom Named Whale Assistant Coach - Connecticut Whale
- Stars Sign Defenseman Tyler Sloan to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Texas Stars
- Texas Stars Hire Doug Lidster as Assistant Coach - Texas Stars
- Baumgartner Retires, Named Wolves Assistant Coach - Chicago Wolves
- Flames Prospects Attend Development Camp - Abbotsford Heat
- Kings Sign Defenseman Andrew Bodnarkchuk to One-Year Contract - Manchester Monarchs
- Lightning Sign Defenseman Matt Taormina - Syracuse Crunch
- Buffalo Sabres Sign Porter, Mancari; Re-Sign Leggio - Rochester Americans
- Blues Sign Andy Murray to Two-Way Contract - Peoria Rivermen
- Bulldogs Sign Hamilton Native Kyle Hagel - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Newly Acquired Left Wing Nick Foligno - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.