Stars Swept by BaronsJuly 4, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
Birmingham starting adding to the momentum they gained in the two previous games in the third inning. After a lead-off triple by second baseman Dan Wagner, a RBI single by right fielder Jose Martinez gave the Barons a 1-0 lead.
Just an inning later, Wagner struck again. Following a single by third baseman Eric Morrison, Stars starting pitcher Kyle Heckathorn plunked designated hitter Kenny Williams Jr. with a pitch. The Kannapolis, NC native connected with a double down the left field line that scored both runners to increase the Birmingham advantage to 3-0.
With a RBI single by Morrison in the fifth inning and a RBI double by first baseman Seth Loman in the seventh inning off of Stars reliever Dan Meadows in the seventh, the Barons staff had all the run support they needed.
Birmingham starter Spencer Arroyo improved to 3-0 in his third Double-A start by tossing six innings of shutout baseball, giving up just five hits while striking out three batters. Reliever Santos Rodriguez also contributed with two scoreless innings.
For the Stars, Heckathorn fell to 2-9 on the season with the loss, giving up four runs on eight hits in 4.2 innings of work. The 24-year-old righty is now winless in his last 10 starts.
On offense, the Stars got their only run in the ninth inning off of RHP Nick McCully on a RBI triple by right fielder Kentrail Davis. Designated hitter Hainley Statia also had half of the Stars hits on the night, going 4-for-4 at the plate with a double.
The Stars will open up a six-game series at home on Wednesday for the first of three games against the Chattanooga Lookouts. Gates will open at 5:30 PM with a special July 4th fireworks show following the conclusion of the game. First pitch at 6:43 PM.
Southern League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Stars Snap Losing Streak - Huntsville Stars
- Fernandez Outduels Sheets as Generals Take Opener 4-2 - Jackson Generals
- Suns Hold off Smokies 4-3 - Jacksonville Suns
- Smokies Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss Wednesday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Fall to Biscuits 8-2 - Mobile BayBears
- Offense Explodes to Back Buschmann - Montgomery Biscuits
- Sellout Crowd Enjoys Festive Day on 4th of July - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Two-Time BCS Champ, All-American Trent Richardson at Saturday's Game - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Peacock Heads Back to AAA, Barnhart Added to Pensacola Roster - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Luis Avilan to Gwinnett and Ben Sheets to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Wahoos Open Homestand on 4th of July - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Dudley Transferred To Jupiter; Lasater Transferred To Jacksonville - Jacksonville Suns
- RHP Sanchez to Nashville; RHP Lowe to Huntsville - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Swept by Barons - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.