June 21 Joliet Slammers Game NotesJune 21, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
Thursday, June 21 - 7:05 p.m. CT
Silver Cross Field - Joliet, IL
Game #32 - Home Game #17 (14-17), (6-10)
RHP #4 Steven Maxwell (3-2, 3.05 ERA) vs. LHP #34 Cameron Roth (4-0, 2.21 ERA)
Last time out.
The Slammers took a 3-1 lead into the eighth inning but the Schaumburg Boomers scored four times in the frame to take the lead for good as the Slammers dropped the series opener by a final score of 5-4. Each team scored a run in the first inning as the Boomers got a RBI single from Steve McQuail and the Slammers responded with an Erik Lis RBI single that scored Hector Pellot from first base. The Slammers grabbed the lead in the fifth inning on a Lis sacrifice fly and they tacked on an insurance run when Hector Pellot scored on a wild pitch. Meanwhile Jim Schult went six strong innings, striking out eight batters. Brian Smith pitched a scoreless seventh but Daniel Carela could not hold onto the lead in the eighth. A lead-off walk started it all and a Nick Kuroczko two-RBI single off reliever Chase Doremus gave Schaumburg the lead. Jimmy Waters smacked his first career homer in the loss.
Steven Maxwell is coming off a seven-inning complete game in a rain shortened contest against the River City Rascals on June 16. He gave up one run on nine hits. It was the last game the Slammers won before their current four-game losing streak. Maxwell has faced Schaumburg once this season and suffered the loss on June 11 when he gave up four runs on five hits in seven innings. Maxwell has gone seven innings in four of his six starts this season. He put up outstanding numbers at Division One powerhouse Texas Christian University and got drafted twice, once by the Minnesota Twins, and once by the Chicago Cubs. Maxwell's junior season at TCU saw him tally an 11-2 record with a 2.70 ERA. Maxwell tossed 103.1 innings that season and struck out 93 batters while only walking 34 in 18 starts. He was a 2010 2nd-team Louisville Slugger all-American, the 2010 Mountain West Conference Pitcher of the Year, a 2010 1st-team All-Mountain West Conference selection, a 2010 ABCA 2nd-team All-Midwest Region selection and he made the 2010 NCAA Fort Worth Regional All-Tournament Team. His pitching helped lead TCU to the College World Series. Maxwell was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 12th round of the 2010 draft but elected to return to TCU for his senior season. Injuries shortened Maxwell's senior campaign but the right-hander still went 5-1 with a 3.13 ERA in 11 starts. He was named to the All-Mountain West 2nd Team at the end of the season. Maxwell finished his collegiate career with a 21-5 record and a 3.43 ERA. He was chosen by the Chicago Cubs in the 37th round of the 2011 draft.
The wrong kind of streak.
The Slammers' current five game losing streak at home is their longest of the season. It ties their longest home losing streak in franchise history. They have lost four in a row overall, matching their longest losing streak of the season and in franchise history.
The Slammers' defense has become one of the best in the Frontier League. They are tied for second in fielding percentage at .977 and they've committed the second fewest errors (27).
Give me some relief!
In 43.2 IP in May, Joliet's bullpen had an era of 1.88. In 67.2 IP in June, they have a 6.38 ERA.
The Slammers are 2-13 in games when they make an error. They are 12-4 in games when they do not.
When the Slammers out-hit an opponent they are 12-4, but when the opponent out-hits the Slammers Joliet has a record of 1-13.
The Slammers traded Catcher Ben Hewett to the River City Rascals for a Player to be Named Later. They released Catcher Tony Sanchez. The Slammers activated Catcher Trey Manz from the 14-Day Disabled List and they signed Catcher Josh Lyon.
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Otters Explode in 12th Inning for 6-3 Win at Southern Illinois - Evansville Otters
- Miners Lose in Extras - Southern Illinois Miners
- Take That! Lisk Delivers In The 11th - River City Rascals
- Rascals Walk off for Second Straight Game against Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts defeat Beach Bums - Windy City ThunderBolts
- ThunderBolts Claim Game Two - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters edge RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Maxwell Leads Slammers to 2-1 Win - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Edged in Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters defeat Rockford - Normal CornBelters
- Matt Fields Has Contract Purchased by Royals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rippers Respond to Liquor License Issue - London Rippers
- June 21 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Crushers-Rippers Rained Out - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rippers Game Cancelled - London Rippers
- Two More Pitchers Headed to Affiliated Teams - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks Announce Field Training Day & Veterans Appreciation Night - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Fall Short in Extras against Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.