Gnats Survive Late GreenJackets Rally for 5-3 Win SundayMay 20, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Savannah Sand Gnats
Savannah had a comfortable 5-0 lead heading to the ninth, but the GreenJackets (19-22) scored three times and had the tying run at second with two outs when reliever TJ Chism induced a comebacker to end the game. It was fair turnabout, as the Gnats lost each of the first two games of the series by one run, both times stranding the tying run at second.
Savannah scored the game's first run in the bottom of the second inning. LF Dustin Lawley led off the inning with a walk and came around to score on 1B Brian Harrison's RBI double over the head of 'Jackets' centerfielder Carlos Willoughby.
Savannah added two runs in both the sixth and seventh innings. Lawley began the sixth by lining a home run just to the right side of the batter's eye in centerfield. Travis Taijeron followed with a triple up the right-centerfield gap and came home on Aderlin Rodriguez's hustle double on a pop fly into shallow center to put the Gnats up 3-0. 2B TJ Rivera added a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh for a 5-0 Savannah advantage.
In the ninth, making his first Savannah appearance, reliever Randy Fontanez walked two batters and hit one to load the bases. A sacrifice fly trimmed the Gnats' lead to 5-1 and then a single re-loaded the bases and chased Fontanez from the game. With the tying run at the plate, Chism struck out pinch-hitter Kelby Tomlinson. However, Willoughby dumped a double down the left field line to drive home two, and raced up to second carrying the tying run. Chism then induced a chopper right back to the mound to end the 'Jackets' threat and the game.
Gnats' starter Rafael Montero allowed just one infield hit in his six innings of work. He faced one over the minimum through five innings. He finished six innings striking out five and walking two to earn his third win of 2012.
The Gnats welcome the first-place Charleston RiverDogs to town on Monday for a three game set. RHP Jacob deGrom (1-0, 0.00) will take on RHP Brett Gerritse (0-1, 4.08 in the opener). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05. Gates open at 6 pm. The radio broadcast, presented by Subway, begins on News/Talk 630 and online at sandgnats.com at 6:45 pm.
Dollar Monday presented by Kroger, the Savannah Morning News and E93
General admission tickets are just $1 with a Kroger Plus card, or with coupons available in Monday's Savannah Morning News, or online at savannahnow.com or E93fm.com. Hot dogs, chips, small sodas and Natty Lights are only $1 each at the game!
South Atlantic League Stories from May 20, 2012
- Legends Open Three-Game Homestand Monday; Report Card Good for Ticket - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Sack Rome, Complete Winning Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Cruz Quiets Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Legends Take Third Straight over Kannapolis 7-1 - Lexington Legends
- Lakewood Gains 7-3 Win to Finish Road Trip with Winning Record - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists Take Series Finale on Sunday - Hickory Crawdads
- Gnats Survive Late GreenJackets Rally for 5-3 Win Sunday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Stymied in Bundy's First Win, Fall 3-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Shorebirds Split Series with 3-1 Victory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes at Hagerstown - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.