Lugnuts record 6th shutout, 4-0 over ClintonApril 29, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The Lugnuts have yet to lose consecutive games in 2012, due in large part to remarkably effective pitching. With the afternoon victory, Lansing has now recorded a league-best six shutouts while lowering its league-best ERA to a microscopic 2.04.
20-year-old left-hander Nicolino started the game and allowed just two base runners to reach second base in his three frames, walking one and striking out four.
19-year-old right-hander Sanchez (Win, 3-0) entered the game in the fourth and continued a stretch of consistency, allowing exactly one hit for the fifth straight appearance. The Californian struck out three and avoided issuing a walk for the first time this season.
Tyler Ybarra followed with 2 1/3 scoreless innings before departing one out into the ninth with runners at second and third. Closer Ajay Meyer (Save, 9, tops in MWL) promptly recorded a strikeout and groundout to end the game.
Lansing was led offensively by Kevin Patterson, who went 2-for-2 with a second inning sacrifice fly and his team-high fourth home run, sparking a three-run fifth inning against Clinton starter Trevor Miller (Loss, 1-2).
Andy Burns and Kellen Sweeney followed Patterson's home run with doubles for a 3-0 lead. Kenny Wilson then lifted a sacrifice fly to center to plate Sweeney and close out the scoring.
The Lansing Lugnuts finish their six-game homestand at Cooley Law School Stadium with a rubber match vs. Clinton on Monday, April 30th, at 7:05 p.m. Lansing right-hander Jesse Hernandez (2-1, 1.07) starts against LumberKings lefty Cameron Hobson (0-4, 4.50). Tickets are available online at the team website at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from April 29, 2012
- Ortiz, Boer, And Fuentes Head To Ft. Myers - Beloit Snappers
- Early Slam Sends TinCaps to 5-2 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Break Tie in 9th, Beat Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Win 5-2 Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Win in Walk off Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Edge Cougars in Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Hawks and Bandits Washed Out; Double-Header Tuesday - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Bees Beat Captains, 7-2 - Burlington Bees
- Aquafina Pitch, Hit & Run Rescheduled for May 5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts record 6th shutout, 4-0 over Clinton - Lansing Lugnuts
- Three-run eighth gives Wisconsin a victory - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Even Series with Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels and Whitecaps Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Fall Despite Rice's Two Base Knocks - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Can't Recover from Four Run First Inning, Fall 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits and Silver Hawks Postponed by Rain - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hefner Becomes 108th Former Fort Wayne Star to Reach MLB - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Need a One Day Vacation" Snappers Can Deliver - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.