Hot Rods Fall Despite Rice's Two Base Knocks
Appleton, WI - The Bowling Green Hot Rods (14-10) had a late lead Sunday afternoon in Wisconsin but saw the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (13-11) storm past them late in the 5-2 defeat. Matt Rice had two hits and an RBI, but the Timber Rattlers scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to break a 2-2 tie. Hot Rods starting pitcher Ryan Carpenter was strong in the no decision, allowing two runs on five hits in six innings.
After the Timber Rattlers scored the game's first run in the bottom of the first inning, Rice quickly answered for the Hot Rods in the very next inning. Taylor Motter singled with one out and promptly stole second and third base. With two outs, Rice lined a hard grounder off the glove of Wisconsin starter David Goforth that trickled away enough to allow Motter to score and Rice to reach first.
The Hot Rods took their first lead of the game in the top of the sixth inning. With Ryan Brett at third base, Todd Glaesmann grounded to third, setting up a play at the plate. Brett appeared to be thrown out, but he dislodged the ball out of the mitt of Wisconsin catcher Rafael Neda to score and give the Hot Rods a 2-1 advantage.
The Timber Rattlers then went on to score the game's final four runs, though. Chadwin Stang hit a solo homerun in the bottom of the sixth inning, and Wisconsin scored three more times in the bottom of the eighth to win and even the series at one game apiece.
In the series finale in Wisconsin on Monday afternoon at 12:05 PM CDT, the Hot Rods will send RHP Roberto Gomez (1-0, 4.95) to the mound to face Wisconsin's RHP Andy Moye (1-0, 2.35). Join Hank Fuerst for the Forever Communications Pre-Game Show at 11:45 AM on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, 1340-AM "The Ticket", or tune in to the game online at 1340wbgn.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 29, 2012
- Ortiz, Boer, And Fuentes Head To Ft. Myers - Beloit Snappers
- Early Slam Sends TinCaps to 5-2 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Break Tie in 9th, Beat Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Win 5-2 Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Win in Walk off Fashion - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Edge Cougars in Pitchers' Duel - Great Lakes Loons
- Hawks and Bandits Washed Out; Double-Header Tuesday - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Bees Beat Captains, 7-2 - Burlington Bees
- Aquafina Pitch, Hit & Run Rescheduled for May 5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts record 6th shutout, 4-0 over Clinton - Lansing Lugnuts
- Three-run eighth gives Wisconsin a victory - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Even Series with Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels and Whitecaps Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Fall Despite Rice's Two Base Knocks - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Can't Recover from Four Run First Inning, Fall 7-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits and Silver Hawks Postponed by Rain - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hefner Becomes 108th Former Fort Wayne Star to Reach MLB - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Need a One Day Vacation" Snappers Can Deliver - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.