Cavan's Four-Hit Night Leads Charge in WinSeptember 3, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Augusta GreenJackets
The GreenJackets sent 11 men to the plate and rattled out eight hits to provide six first-inning runs. Chris Dominguez tripled home a pair, Ryan Cavan and Skyler Stromsmoe knocked in a run each with RBI singles while Ydwin Villegas drove home a pair with a two-out single of his own to put the Jackets up 6-0.
Augusta got two more in the second on a Tommy Joseph RBI groundout and a Luke Anders run-scoring single. The Shorebirds got single runs in each the second and third innings before the Jackets struck again in the fourth. Cavan's line drive home run over the fence in right made it a 9-2 game. 14 of Cavan's 17 home runs have come in the second half and his home run against the Shorebirds came as part of a four-hit night where Cavan fell a triple short of the cycle.
The Shorebirds got a run back in the home half of the fourth but the Augusta lead grew once more to seven in the sixth inning Dominguez belted his 19th home run of the year well beyond the left field fence to make it a 10-3 game. The three-RBI night for Dominguez brings his season total to 98, two better than last year's team leader - Josh Mazzola - and just two away from 100.
Zack Wheeler (3-3) hit his rough spots but threw well enough to get the win. Wheeler fired five innings and allowed three runs on seven hits and two walks while striking out three. Pat Kantakevich (0-9) took the loss for Delmarva, surrendering all eight early runs in 1.1 innings on ten hits and a walk.
The GreenJackets look for the third win of the road trip on Saturday night as they send Jeremy Toole (5-5, 4.12) to the mound against Bobby Bundy (4-5, 3.59). First pitch from Salisbury, MD will come at 7:05 p.m. with the pregame action beginning at 6:50 p.m. on WRDW AM 1630, www.greenjacketsbaseball.com and www.wrdwam.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from September 3, 2010
- Gnats Win Fourth Straight - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Hagerstown wins over West Virginia - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Jump Out Early, Dump R'Dogs, 6-2 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Slow Drive with 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Six-Run First Inning Lifts GreenJackets to 10-3 Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Drop Tough One to Crawdads, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Rome Edges Legends 1-0; Towles Inducted into Legends Hall of Fame - Lexington Legends
- Cavan's Four-Hit Night Leads Charge in Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pettibone, Claws Win Third in a Row 5-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Pettibone Pitches BlueClaws Past Intimidators 5-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Unveil 2011 Season Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Mahoney Placed on DL; Toussen Transferred to Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Game Notes: Friday, September 3 Vs. Asheville - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Seesaw Battle in Lexington Swings Towards Legends - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Hall of Fame Ceremony Friday Night - Lexington Legends
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.