Long ball dooms Tennessee in 7-0 loss to JacksonvilleMay 21, 2010 - Southern League (SL) Tennessee Smokies
Stanton, the Florida Marlins' top prospect, came through with a big night for Jacksonville. His fourth-inning laser into the left-field grass berm gave the Suns a 2-0 lead. On the night, Stanton went 3-for-5 with two RBIs. He leads the minors with 16 home runs and the Southern League with 39 RBIs.
Jacksonville's Chris Hatcher also got in on the long ball action. He followed up Stanton's home run in the fourth with a three-run shot of his own off Tennessee starter Craig Muschko, putting the Suns up 5-0.
Two more runs late for Jacksonville were more than enough for starter Tom Koehler. He remained unbeaten at 5-0 with a two-hit outing over seven innings, striking out five.
Tennessee's offense had no answer for Suns pitching Friday, as the road team faced only one-over-the-minimum 28 batters. Tony Campana and Muschko were the only two Smokies to collect a hit on the night. On the flip side, Muschko five runs on seven hits to fall to 2-1 on the year.
The Smokies and Suns will square off in Game 3 Saturday at 6:15 at Smokies Park. Chris Carpenter (2-1, 4.05) gets the start for the Smokies, while the Suns will send out former major leaguer, Andrew Miller (0-0, 0.00). Saturday will feature a Smokies Webkinz giveaway for the first 1,000 kids 12-and-under in with paid admission. Tickets can be purchased at www.smokiesbaseball.com or by calling (865) 286-2300.
Southern League Stories from May 21, 2010
- Jaxx sweep double-header from Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Poor Defense Plagues Biscuits in DH Sweep - Montgomery Biscuits
- BayBears Blank Barons in Opener, Lose Late in Game Two - Mobile BayBears
- Carolina defeats Chattanooga - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats Trump Lookouts, 6-3 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Long ball dooms Tennessee in 7-0 loss to Jacksonville - Tennessee Smokies
- Hatcher Drives in Five as Suns Blank Smokies - Jacksonville Suns
- Ellis Returns to BayBears, Clifford Let Go - Mobile BayBears
- Opening Day Catcher Jonathan Lucroy Promoted To Milwaukee - Huntsville Stars
- Huntsville Stars Make Roster Transactions - Huntsville Stars
- Pringles Park To Host 3rd Annual High School All-Star Game - Jackson Generals
- Concepcion Rodriguez To The DL, Alejandro Machado To Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Take Game One Of The Series, 5-4 - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.