Wild Finish in Aberdeen
The Brookings Blizzard lost 5-4 in a shootout to the Aberdeen Wings Saturday night at the Odde Ice Center in Aberdeen. Aberdeen scored three goals in the final 1:16 of the game to force overtime and scored twice in the shootout to seal the victory. Nick DeCenzo and Eric Brenk gave the Blizzard an early lead with two goals within the first four minutes of the game. Aberdeen came back to score with 5 minutes in the period and the Blizzard went into the first intermission with a 2-1 lead. The Blizzard responded in the second period with two more goals. Justin Moody scored 2:37 into the second period off an assist from Jordan Stejskal. At the 5:59 mark of the second period, Matt Youso won a faceoff in the Aberdeen zone and took the puck all the way to the net and the Blizzard took a 4-1 lead until the waning moments. With 1:16 left in the game, Aberdeen scored a short-handed goal to cut the lead in half, 4-2. With an extra attacker, the Wings scored again with 14 seconds to play in the game to cut the lead to one, and with one second to play in the game, Jordan Heller scored for the Wings to send the game to overtime. Aberdeen scored two goals in the shootout and won the game 5-4. Brookings is one point out of second place staring up at Bismarck who they'll visit Wednesday night at 7:15. You can watch the action on fasthockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2013
- Spezia Named North Division Star of the Week - Port Huron Fighting Falcons
- Carkeek Makes Plans for 2013-14 Season - Springfield Jr. Blues
- NAHL Announces Divisional Stars of the Week - NAHL
- Attention: Tickets to Wednesday's 10am Game - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Ground Gained With Sweep - Wichita Falls Wildcats
- Wild Finish in Aberdeen - Brookings Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.