Whitecaps FC 2 Host Tulsa Roughnecks FC on a 'Day That Will Long be Remembered'
VANCOUVER, BC - Sitting second in the Western Conference after a lengthy road trip, Whitecaps FC 2 (3W-0L-2D) head home to face Tulsa Roughnecks FC (1W-4L-1D) on Star Wars Night on Wednesday. Kickoff at Thunderbird Stadium is set for 7 p.m. Click here for tickets.
Fire up the [email protected] Star Wars Night this Wednesday ?? https://t.co/M898dMGcuG https://t.co/6BrJYI2QpX
- Vancouver Whitecaps (@WhitecapsFC) May 2, 2016
WHITECAPS FC 2
The fast-improving 'Caps have shown they can compete against some of USL's best teams, earning a win in their first match of the season against current third-place team Orange County Blues FC on March 26 and a tie against conference heavy hitters LA Galaxy II on April 22. Though their game last weekend against Saint Louis FC was postponed due to storms in the area, the team continues to bring a high level of intensity to each match and had a successful road trip overall, beating Swope Park Rangers 2-1 just five days after facing Galaxy II.
Canadians Chris Serban, Brett Levis, and Daniel Haber, team captain and USL veteran Kyle Greig, and European league recruit Sem de Wit have each seen the field in all five games so far this season, bringing some experience and leadership into the young 'Caps side. Together, Haber and Greig account for six of WFC2's eight goals this season. Meanwhile, fullbacks Serban and Levis, along with centre backs de Wit and MLS SuperDraft pick Cole Seiler, have been working as part of a tight defensive line for the 'Caps. To date, the team has only seen four shots go into the back of their net, manned by Spencer Richey (2W-0L-1D) and Victoria native Sean Melvin (1W-0L-1D, two clean sheets). Ben McKendry and Alphonso Davies have also been bright spots in the midfield for WFC2.
TULSA ROUGHNECKS FC
Tulsa have been struggling of late, but make no mistake about it, they are a very experienced and dangerous team capable of beating any other in the league.
The Roughnecks have played in some tough matches since the start of their season, most recently registering back-to-back losses. On April 23, the side lost 2-0 at home against Timbers 2, followed a week later by a 3-1 away loss against San Antonio FC. No doubt they will be hungry to get a win against a young 'Caps side on Wednesday night.
One player to watch could be striker Taylor Morgan. The 6-foot-5 former Queens Park Rangers youth player has one of Tulsa's two goals and will need to be marked closely by Alan Koch's defenders.
THIS WILL BE A DAY LONG REMEMBERED...
Not only is Wednesday set to be a great match up for your WFC2 side, it also happens to fall on May 4. With that, come cheer on the 'Caps and enjoy some Star Wars themed fun in celebration of Star Wars day!
As always, fans will have the opportunity to enjoy some of Vancouver's finest street food with the likes of Hungry Nomad, The Dog House and School of Fish food trucks setting up in the plaza.
Activities at the match include face painting, balloon art, bubble soccer, and music from Vancouver-based exotic funk band Coco Jafro. Their cool mix of Funk, Soul, Afrobeat, and Jazz will set the scene for some fun in the Vancouver sun on Wednesday night.
Not only that, but the special Star Wars occasion calls for some added fun: members of fan group 501st legion will be coming in Star Wars costumes of characters like Storm and Sand Troopers, Imperial officers, as well as Chewbacca, Darth Nihilus and Darth Vader!
Come out and cheer on your WFC2 team, and celebrate Star Wars Night with some intergalactic fun at Thunderbird Stadium!
May the fourth be with you.
This year, every Tier 1 'Caps Club MLS membership includes three open tickets to WFC2 matches. Members can select their matches and theme days online through Account Manager. Information on theme days is available at whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/themedays.
Youth season passes are also available for $30 all in. For more information contact [email protected] or call 604-484-7862.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 3, 2016
- First-Place LouCity Visits TFCII - Louisville City FC
- Ben McKendry Named USL Player of the Week After 35-Yard Wonder Goal - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Kick It with Saint Louis FC - Saint Louis FC
- FNB Field Home Opener Review - Penn FC
- Whitecaps FC 2 Host Tulsa Roughnecks FC on a 'Day That Will Long be Remembered' - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Toronto FC Loan Eight Players to Toronto FC II - Toronto FC II
- Roughnecks Look to End Streak in Vancouver Wednesday - FC Tulsa
- Parkes Named to USL's Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Shanosky Earns Weekly Honor - Louisville City FC
- John McCarthy Named to USL Team of the Week - Philadelphia Union II
- T2's Marco Farfan Added to the USL Team of the Week - Portland Timbers 2
- Vancouver's McKendry Named USL Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Rafa Castillo Named to USL Team of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Taylor out for Remainder of Season - Richmond Kickers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.