Victory v Minnesota
The California Victory heads into Saturday's home game against Minnesota Thunder on a high note having defeated champions Vancouver 1-0 Thursday night.
"The win was not only a historic win, being our first for our franchise, but I also think it sends a statement," said Victory head coach Glenn Van Straatum. "To win against the champions says a lot about our character."
But while the victory has given team morale a much-needed boost, Van Straatum has stressed the importance of staying focused. Another win Saturday would leapfrog the Victory over Minnesota, who sits above last-place California by just a single point having played two more games.
"I'm proud of the team for achieving what they did Thursday," said Van Straatum. "But at the same time we want to stay sharp and make sure we are not over confident just because of the one win."
He added: "We have to be consistent in staying disciplined in defense, and also in taking our scoring opportunities. That is something we are working on, and we have been creating more chances."
"Minnesota are a good side and got a deserved tie against Montreal, who are a very strong team. Tomorrow is by no means an easy game -- it will be a battle because both teams need the points."
The California Victory play the Minnesota Thunder at 7 p.m. at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco. Tickets are available at the gate before the game or by visiting www.californiavictorysoccer.com.
Saturday's match is the last home game for the Victory until June 28, when West Coast rivals Portland Timbers visit for the second of five meetings this season.
INJURY UPDATE: Mike Muñoz played ten minutes against Vancouver, a sign that the former-Cal midfielder is approaching match fitness after an injury forced him out of the lineup for most of the season.
Luis Mira suffered a back contusion in Thursday's game.
Still hurt: Cameron Dunn, Josh Barton.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from June 8, 2007
- Gregor Helps Timbers To 1-0 Win In Montreal - Portland Timbers
- Railhawks And Rhinos Tie at 2-2 - North Carolina FC
- Victory v Minnesota - California Victory
- Thunder And Lightning Hit The Road This Weekend In Search Of More Points - Minnesota Thunder
- AC Milan Unveils U-21 Travel Roster For Portland Match - Portland Timbers
- Battery to play Jamaica's Village United Saturday at Blackbaud - Charleston Battery
- Victory Shocks Champs With First Franchise Win - California Victory
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent California Victory Stories
- Van Straatum: "We battle until the end"
- Late PK puts Seattle on top; Sounders beat Vics 1-0 in San Francisco
- Victory out of playoff contention following loss to Montreal
- Victory beats Minnesota with Morales brace
- Victory face Thunder, Islanders in hunt for playoffs