Utah Royals FC to Compete on Behalf of Journey of Hope as Part of Verizon Community Shield
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC have selected Journey of Hope, a nonprofit organization based in Sandy, Utah, that aims to provide support to women and girls at-risk in Utah whose status put them in jeopardy for further harm and incarceration, as the team's selection for the Verizon Community Shield competition as part of the 2020 National Women's Soccer League Fall Series.
The Verizon Community Shield is a partnership between the NWSL and Verizon, where each of the NWSL's nine clubs will partner with small businesses or programs in their community. The team with the most points at the end of the Fall Series will be awarded the Verizon Community Shield and the opportunity to present a grant of $25,000 to their community partner, made possible by Verizon. $15,000 and $10,000 will be presented to the second and third-place teams, respectively.
Journey of Hope empowers at-risk women and girls -- the homeless, the trafficked, those fleeing domestic violence, the addicted, the mentally ill, women transitioning from jail and prison, and girls aging out of state services -- by providing resources through mentoring and case management.
Earlier this month the team had the opportunity to meet with the founder and Executive Director of Journey of Hope, Shannon Miller-Cox, where they got to hear firsthand from a survivor of domestic violence who walked through the organization's program. It was after this meeting that the team felt compelled to select them as their organization of choice for the Verizon Community Shield.
"After getting to know Journey of Hope we knew we wanted to help in any way that we could," Utah Royals FC captain Amy Rodriguez said. "To spotlight this organization is something we are very proud of, and I hope we can make a positive difference in our community."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 30, 2020
- Thorns FC Play Host to OL Reign Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Thorns FC
- OL Reign to Play for Black Future Co-Op in 2020 Verizon Community Shield - OL Reign
- Sky Blue FC Launches 'Go-Vote' Initiative - Sky Blue FC
- North Carolina Courage Sign Jamaican Midfielder Havana Solaun - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC to Compete on Behalf of Journey of Hope as Part of Verizon Community Shield - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC Receives Allocation Money in Exchange for Kelley O'Hara
- Tziarra King and Raisa Strom-Okimoto Share Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Utah Royals FC Defender Kelley O'Hara Named to United States Women's National Team Roster
- Christen Press Selected in 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft
- Utah Royals Announces Staffing Updates