Utah Royals FC Falls 3-0 to North Carolina Courage
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC (9-9-3, 31 points) fell 3-0 to the defending NWSL Shield Winners, North Carolina Courage, at Rio Tinto Stadium.
North Carolina took the lead in the first half when forward Kristen Hamilton was taken down inside the box by DF Becky Sauerbrunn, resulting in a penalty kick. Samantha Mewis took the shot and the Courage went into halftime up 1-0.
Halfway through the second half North Carolina doubled their lead when Jaelene Hinkle sent a floater in past GK Nicole Barnhart. Just five minutes later they secured their third goal of the match when a poorly distributed ball from Barnhart, generating an open shot on goal for Debinha.
The win gave North Carolina their third-consecutive NWSL Shield, while Utah remain in fifth place with just three games left this season.
Quotes from the match can be found HERE.
UP NEXT: URFC returns to Tacoma, Washington to make up a previously postponed match against Reign FC on Wednesday, September 25 at 8:00 p.m. MT, the team will then head straight to Chicago to face the Red Stars on Saturday, September 28 at 6:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
NCC: Samantha Mewis (PK) 30th minute: Forward Kristen Hamilton dribbled the ball into the box, going for goal, and was taken down by DF Becky Sauerbrunn, leading to North Carolina being awarded a penalty kick. Midfielder Samantha Mewis stepped up to take the penalty, burying it into the left side of goal past GK Nicole Barnhart.
NCC: Jaelene Hinkle 65th minute: Defender Jaelene Hinke brought the ball down the left side of the field and was able to get a shot off from outside the 18-yard-box. Despite GK Nicole Barnhart getting a hand on the ball, the shot was floated into goal to double the lead.
NCC: Debinha (Crystal Dunn) 70th minute: GK Nicole Barnhart attempted a short pass to the backline, but the ball landed directly at the feet of midfielder Crystal Dunn who made a short pass to Debinha in open space, leading to the third goal of the night for the Courage.
- MF Vero Boquete was absent from the starting lineup for the first time in eight matches due to a leg injury, MF Gunny Jónsdóttir started in her place.
- The match marked the second-to-last home game for Royals FC in the 2019 regular season. The final match at Rio Tinto Stadium will take place on Saturday, October 12 at 7:00 p.m. MT against the Houston Dash.
Match: Utah Royals FC vs. North Carolina Courage
Date: September 21, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Clear and 55 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Utah Royals FC 0 0 0
North Carolina Courage 1 2 3
NCC: Samantha Mewis (PK) 30'
NCC: Jaelene Hinkle 65'
NCC: Debinha (Crystal Dunn) 70'
Utah Royals FC (4-4-2): Nicole Barnhart; Katie Bowen, Becky Sauerbrunn ©, Rachel Corsie, Mallory Weber;Desiree Scott, Gunny Jónsdóttir, Lo'eau LaBonta (Erika Tymrak 78'), Katie Stengel (Vero Boquete 53'); Amy Rodriguez, Christen Press (Raisa Strom-Okimoto 88')
Subs not used: Abby Smith, Gaby Vincent, Maddie Nolf, Michelle Maemone
North Carolina Courage (4-4-2): Steph Labbe; Heather O'Reilley, Abby Erceg ©, Abby Dahlkemper, Jaelene Hinkle; Samantha Mewis, Denise O'Sullivan, McCall Zerboni (Crystal Dunn 59'), Debinha (Cari Roccaro 79'); Jessica McDonald, Kristen Hamilton (Lynn Williams 64')
Subs not used: Katelyn Rowland, McKenzie Meehan, Meredith Speck, Julia Spetsmark
Stats Summary: UTA / NC
Shots on Goal:
Corner Kicks: 5/5
NCC: Denise O'Sullivan (caution) 35'
Referee: Karen Abt
Assistant Referees: Jennifer Garner, Tiffini Turpin
4th Official: Samantha Martinez
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Thorns FC Register 1-0 Win over Houston Dash at Providence Park - Portland Thorns FC
- Reign FC Shutout by Sky Blue FC in Loss - OL Reign
- Lloyd's Goal Lifts Sky Blue FC over Reign FC - Sky Blue FC
- Dash Fall 1-0 at Portland Thorns - Houston Dash
- Utah Royals FC Falls 3-0 to North Carolina Courage - Utah Royals FC
- Sam Kerr's Record-Breaking Performance Lifts Chicago to Fifth Consecutive Playoff Berth - Chicago Red Stars
- NC Courage Clinch Third-Consecutive NWSL Shield with 3-0 Win over Utah Royals FC - North Carolina Courage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC Ends Season with 2-0 Defeat to OL Reign
- Utah Royals FC Finishes 2020 NWSL Season at OL Reign
- Utah Royals FC Close Home Slate in 1-1 Draw with Portland
- Utah Royals FC Faces Portland Thorns FC in Final NWSL Match at Rio Tinto Stadium in 2020
- Utah Royals FC to Compete on Behalf of Journey of Hope as Part of Verizon Community Shield