Utah Royals FC Earn Hard-Fought Point in 0-0 Draw with Washington Spirit
BOYDS, Maryland - Utah Royals FC (8-6-4, 28 points) earned a hard-fought point on the road against Washington Spirit to close out the team's three-game road stretch.
After enduring an hour-long weather delay just a minute into the match, Utah got off to a slow start in the first half, with the Washington Spirit maintaining a majority of the possession. Just moments into the restart of the match GK Nicole Barnhart came up big, fully extending upward to lift Spirit forward Ashley Hatch's shot over the crossbar. Ultimately neither team was able to find the back of the net, heading into halftime 0-0.
Barnhart made yet another crucial save at the start of the second half to maintain the scoreline, stretching out to her right to keep a bending-ball out of the back of the net.
Utah's best chance at goal came in the 53rd minute when FW Christen Press took a point-blank shot at Spirit goalkeeper Aubrey Bledsoe. The shot bounced its was back to the feet of Press who proceded to take another shot that ricocheted again out of the hands of Bledsoe. Press once again collected the ball, this time sending a cross in to FW Amy Rodriguez whose shot was wrapped up, ending the play.
Royals FC maintained pressure in the later half of the match, getting off several more chances on goal, but the Spirit were able to withstand the offensive surge and the match ended scoreless on both sides.
Quotes from Head Coach Laura Harvey and MF Desiree Scott can be found here.
UP NEXT: After three-straight road matches URFC will return home after a short FIFA International Break to face Portland Thorns FC on September 6 at 7:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
- The match marked the third and final time Utah Royals FC will face the Washington Spirit in the 2019 regular season.
- After a minute into the match the game was forced into a weather delay that lasted for over an hour. The match re-kicked off at 9:17 p.m. ET.
Match: Utah Royals FC vs. Washington Spirit
Date: Aug. 21, 2019
Venue: Maryland SoccerPlex; Boyds, Maryland
Weather: Rainy and 78 Degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Utah Royals FC 0 0 0
Washington Spirit 0 0 0
Utah Royals FC (4-4-2): Nicole Barnhart; Mallory Weber, Becky Sauerbrunn ©, Rachel Corsie, Katie Bowen; Vero Boquete, Gunny Jónsdóttir, Lo'eau LaBonta (Katie Stengel 81'), Desiree Scott; Amy Rodriguez, Christen Press
Subs not used: Abby Smith, Sydney Miramontez, Maddie Nolf, Erika Tymrak, Makenzy Doniak, Gaby Vincent
Washington Spirit (4-4-2): Aubrey Bledsoe; Tori Huster, Paige Nielsen, Sam Staab, Elise Kellond-Knight (Dorian Bailey 63'); Chloe Logarzo (Cheyna Matthews 76'), Meggie Dougherty-Howard, Jordan DiBiasi, Andi Sullivan ©; Ashley Hatch, Crystal Thomas (Bayley Feist 86')
Subs not used: Ari Ship, Cali Farquharson, Shae Yanez, Amy Harrison
Stats Summary: UTA / WAS
Shots on Goal: 2/2
Corner Kicks: 2/8
WAS: Elise Kellond-Knight 5' (caution)
UTA: Christen Press 50' (caution)
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr.
Assistant Referees: Katarzyna Wasiak, Amilcar Sicaju
4th Official: Meghan Mullen
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: August 22, 2019 - Portland Thorns FC
- North Carolina Courage Return to NWSL Play against Reign FC on Saturday, August 24 - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC Earn Hard-Fought Point in 0-0 Draw with Washington Spirit - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC Ends Season with 2-0 Defeat to OL Reign
- Utah Royals FC Finishes 2020 NWSL Season at OL Reign
- Utah Royals FC Close Home Slate in 1-1 Draw with Portland
- Utah Royals FC Faces Portland Thorns FC in Final NWSL Match at Rio Tinto Stadium in 2020
- Utah Royals FC to Compete on Behalf of Journey of Hope as Part of Verizon Community Shield