Utah Royals FC Duo Called to U.S. Women's National Team for Two April Friendlies
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC duo of DF Becky Sauerbrunn and FW Christen Press have been called to the U.S. Women's National Team by Head Coach Jill Ellis for two international friendlies against Australia and Belgium in preparation for the 2019 Women's FIFA World Cup.
The USWNT will face Australia on April 4 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado. ?On April 7, the USWNT will travel to Los Angeles to take on Belgium at Banc of California Stadium.
"Australia is a top-6 team, and Belgium came within a goal of qualifying for the World Cup, so these opponents will provide us a level of competition that we'll be experiencing in France," said Ellis. "Our time together will be important to keep forging team chemistry and build on the connectivity on the pitch so we can bring out the best from each other in our team play."
Sauerbrunn and Press head into the 2019 World Cup year with veteran experience under their belts. Sauerbrunn in her third, while Press is in her second World Cup year. In 2015, the two were both members of the Women's World Cup championship teams.
The USWNT will play three games in May for a "Send-Off Series" before heading to France, facing Thailand, Chile, and Sweden in group play.
Sauerbrunn and Press are expected to rejoin Utah Royals FC prior to the home opener against the Washington Spirit on April 20 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
U.S. WNT Roster - Australia & Belgium Friendlies (Club; Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (3): Adrianna Franch (Portland Thorns FC; 1/0), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride; 20/0), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars; 41/0)
DEFENDERS (7): Abby Dahlkemper (NC Courage; 35/0), Tierna Davidson (Chicago Red Stars; 17/1), Crystal Dunn (NC Courage; 80/24), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride; 98/1), Becky Sauerbrunn (Utah Royals FC; 153/0), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars; 27/0), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC; 30/0)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Julie Ertz (Chicago Red Stars; 77/18), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC; 64/7), Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit; 23/6), Allie Long (Reign FC; 40/6), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage; 45/8), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit; 11/0), McCall Zerboni (NC Courage; 8/0)
FORWARDS (7): Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC; 146/27), Carli Lloyd (Sky Blue FC; 269/105), Jessica McDonald (NC Courage; 6/1), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride; 158/99), Christen Press (Utah Royals FC; 111/47), Mallory Pugh (Washington Spirit; 48/13), Megan Rapinoe (Reign FC; 149/43)
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from March 21, 2019
- Utah Royals FC Duo Called to U.S. Women's National Team for Two April Friendlies - Utah Royals FC
- North Carolina Courage Set to Play Orlando Pride in Friendship Cup - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC Tops California State University Long Beach 4-0 - Utah Royals FC
- Pride Trio Named to USWNT Roster for Pair of Friendlies - Orlando Pride
- Three Washington Spirit Players Named to U.S. WNT Roster for 2019 April Friendlies - Washington Spirit
- Five NC Courage Players Called to US National Team Roster for Friendlies against Australia and Belgium - North Carolina Courage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC Takes to the Road to Face North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC DF Rachel Corise Named to Scotland Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup
- This Week at RSL
- Utah Royals FC Acquire Forward Mallory Weber off NWSL Waiver Wire
- Utah Royals FC Falls 2-1 to Houston Dash in First Loss of 2019