Utah Royals FC Draw 2-2 with OL Reign in Return to Rio Tinto Stadium
SANDY, Utah - - Utah Royals FC (0-1-1, 1 point) earned its first point of the NWSL Fall Series in a 2-2 draw with OL Reign at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday.
Aminata Diallo and Tziarra King each scored first-half goals and Melissa Lowder earned the draw in her professional debut in the draw.
The Royals got off to a strong start in the match, with Diallo scoring on a rocket in the ninth minute to take a 1-0 lead. King added her second goal of 2020 and first of the NWSL Fall Series, rising up for a header on a cross from Brittany Ratcliffe in the 22nd minute to double the lead to 2-0. However, the Reign scored two quick goals in the 23rd minute and 28th minute to send the match into halftime knotted at 2-2.]
In the second half, URFC put pressure on the Reign goal throughout the second half, but couldn't get the winner past Casey Murphy and the match ended in a 2-2 draw.
UP NEXT: URFC will play its final home match of 2020 against the Portland Thorns on Saturday, Oct. 3, in a nationally-televised match on CBS Sports. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
UTA: Aminata Diallo 9th minute: Utah Royals FC saw a series of offensive possession resulting in midfiedlder Vero Boquete having the ball outside the top-right corner of the 18-yard-box. Boquete's initial service into the box was blocked by a Reign defender and landed directly at the feet of Aminata Diallo who took a touch to her right and sent a bouncing shot into the lower-left corner for the early lead.
UTA: Tziarra King (Brittany Ratcliffe) 22nd minute: Forward Brittanty Ratcliffe sprinted down the right flank with the ball dwon into the corner where she sent a long service into the box where it met the head of a leaping Tziarra King to double the lead for Utah.
RGN: Bethany Balcer (Stephanie Cox) 23rd minute: Less than a minute later OL Reign defender Stephanie Cox passed the ball through the legs of Sofia Huerta to an oncoming Bethany Balcer who's shot landed in the back of the net.
RGN: Rosie White (Jasmyne Spencer) 28th minute: OL Reign tied it up when Jasmyne Spencer played a short pass to Rosie White at the top of the 18-yard-box, her shot bounced its way into the lower-left corner of goal.
- Goalkeeper Melissa Lowder made her professional debut.
- In the ninth minute midfielder Aminata Diallo scored her first goal with Utah Royals FC.
- Defender Gaby Vincent made her 2020 debut when she came on as a substitute at halftime for Aminata Diallo
- Interim Head Coach Amy LePeilbet earned her first result in the Head Coach position
- Utah Royals FC played at Rio Tinto Stadium for the first time in 350 days
Match: Utah Royals FC vs. OL Reign
Date: Sept. 26, 2020
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Sunny and 75 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Utah Royals FC 2 0 2
OL Reign 2 0 2
UTA: Aminata Diallo 9'
UTA: Tziarra King (Brittany Ratcliffe) 22'
RGN: Bethany Balcer (Stephanie Cox) 23'
RGN: Rosie White (Jasmyne Spencer) 28'
Utah Royals FC (4-3-3) Melissa Lowder; Katie Bowen, Elizabeth Ball, Kate Del Fava, Mallory Weber; Lo'eau LaBonta, Aminata Diallo (Gaby Vincent HT), Vero Boquete; Tziarra King, Amy Rodriguez (Arielle Ship 64'), Brittany Ratcliffe (Raisa Strom-Okimoto 78')
Subs not used: Abby Smith, Madeline Nolf, Taylor Leach, Taylor Lytle
OL Reign: (4-3-3): Casey Murphy; Taylor Smith, Amber Brooks, Kristen McNabb (Madison Hammond 76'), Stephanie Cox; Allie Long (Dani Weatherholt HT), Shirley Cruz (Morgan Andrews 70'), Rosie White; Sofia Huerta, Bethany Balcer, Jasmyne Spencer (Leah Pruitt 70')
Subs not used: Michelle Betos, Kim Hazlett
Stats Summary: UTA / RGN
Shots: 14 / 10
Shots on Goal: 8 / 2
Saves: 0 / 6
Corner Kicks: 3 / 5
Fouls: 9 / 11
Offside: 2 / 4
RGN: Rosie White (caution) 66'
Referee: Karen Callado
Assistant Referees: Kali Smoth, Karsten Gillwald
4th Official: Casey Harward
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 26, 2020
- Pride Drop 3-1 Decision to Houston on Saturday Night - Orlando Pride
- OL Reign Fights Way to Road Draw in Utah - OL Reign
- Utah Royals FC Draw 2-2 with OL Reign in Return to Rio Tinto Stadium - Utah Royals FC
- Chicago Draws with Washington Spirit - Chicago Red Stars
- Spirit Strike Late Again, Draw with Red Stars in First Away Match of 2020 - Washington Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Utah Royals FC Defender Kelley O'Hara Named to United States Women's National Team Roster
- Christen Press Selected in 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft
- Utah Royals Announces Staffing Updates
- Utah Royals FC Announce Protected Players Ahead of 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft
- Utah Royals FC Announces Options and New Player Agreements for 2021