Two-Goal Third Period Sinks Raiders Against Regina
Prince Albert, SK - The Prince Albert Raiders (16-20-6-2) gave up two third-period power-play goals in a 4-3 loss to the Regina Pats (24-19-4-0) on Wednesday night at the Art Hauser Centre.
The two teams entered the final period tied 2-2, but goals on the man advantage from Matt Bradley and Jesse Gabrielle two minutes apart put the Pats ahead for good.
The Raiders opened the scoring with a power-play goal at the 5:02 mark of the first period. Regan Nagy and Curtis Miske worked the puck around to Vojtech Budik. The Czech defenceman blasted a one-timer from the top of the right faceoff circle past Ryan Kubic to put the Raiders up 1-0.
The lead lasted until the final seconds of the first period. Jake Leschyshyn collected a puck in front of the Raiders' goal and beat Curtis Meger with five seconds to play, making it a 1-1 game after 20 minutes.
In the second, Miske gave the Raiders the lead. He fired a shot from the right wing off the rush that got under Kubic's pad for his 14th goal of the year on his 21st birthday. Less than a minute later, the Pats tied the game on Bradley's first goal of the game - a deflection off of a Logan Nijhoff point shot.
The Raiders had a prime chance to take the lead early in the third with 1:02 of a two-man advantage. However, Kubic stood tall and denied Nagy and Brett Leason on the door step.
When the Pats had their chances in the third with the man-advantage, they made them count. At the 5:19 mark, Bradley stepped in from the blueline and picked the top corner over Meger to put Regina up 3-2. Less than two minutes later, Gabrielle put the puck in from deep on the left win to make it 4-2.
Jordy Stallard brought the Raiders back within one with 4:53 to play. The Winnipeg Jets prospect sprung on a shorthanded breakaway and he made no mistake in making a 4-3 game.
It was as close as the Raiders came to tying the game. Prince Albert had a couple of chances with the net empty, but were unable to solve Kubic again. Regina's goaltender made 34 saves in the win. Meger stopped 29 shots in the loss.
The Raiders head to Alberta for a three-in-three weekend against the Central Division, beginning on Friday night in Red Deer against the Rebels. Game time is 8 p.m. CST.
The next Raiders' home game is on Friday, January 26 when the Prince George Cougars visit the Art Hauser Centre. Puck drop is 7 p.m.
Tickets are available at raiderhockey.com, the Raider Office, or by calling 306-764-5348.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2018
- NEWS Pats Sign Hockey Operations Staff to Multi-Year - Regina Pats
- Chiefs News: Brkin Blanks Brandon in Suh-Wheat 3-0 Victory - Spokane Chiefs
- Two-Goal Third Period Sinks Raiders Against Regina - Prince Albert Raiders
- Rockets Rise While Warriors, Broncos Hold Steady in CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Pats to Make Hockey Operations Announcement Thursday - Regina Pats
- GIANTS SIGN DEFENCEMAN JOEL SEXSMITH - Vancouver Giants
- SPOKANE DEFENSEMAN SET TO WEAR THE â??C' AT PRESTIGIOUS EVENT - Spokane Chiefs
- Smith Named Captain of Team Orr for Top Prospects Game - Spokane Chiefs
- CHIEFS' SMITH TO SERVE AS CAPTAIN OF TEAM ORR AT 2018 SHERWIN-WILLIAMS CHL/NHL TOP PROSPECTS GAME - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.