Tropics Extend Contract for Fan Favorite, Captain, Assistant Coach Freddy Moojen to 2020
LAKELAND, Fla - The Florida Tropics most popular player, not to mention captain and second-leading scorer in franchise history, will be back for his third Major Arena Soccer League season in Lakeland this winter.
Freddy Moojen has signed a new two-year deal with the team for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 season campaigns. Per league and team policies, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Over the past two years, Moojen has appeared in 41 of the Tropics 42 games, scoring 39 goals and 16 assists. His professional arena soccer career began in 2007-08 with the MISL New Jersey Ironmen. Since then, he's appeared in 181 games, netting 175 goals and 81 assists.
"It's a great day for the franchise to get Freddy back in the fold," Head Coach Clay Roberts said. "Everyone sees his skills on the field, but for a young franchise, it's what he brings off the field that fans don't see that is just as important to our success."
Moojen has served as the Tropics assistant coach in his two years here as well. His 22 goals last year was the third highest total of his 11 year career which has included stops in St. Louis, Dallas, Chicago, Wichita, and Baltimore. He was voted most popular in a fan vote at the end of last season.
"I would like to thank the entire organization and fans in Lakeland for all they do to keep the Florida Tropics going strong for a third season," Moojen said. "It was an easy decision for me to re-sign with the Tropics. We have a hard working professional organization and a quality coach that I enjoy working with as player and assistant coach. I can't wait to be back in Lakeland for another season."
Florida will open its third season in the MASL in December. The 24-game regular season will run through March. The Tropics play their home games on SYKES Field at the RP Funding Center. For more information, go to www.tropicssoccer.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from June 27, 2018
- SeaWolves Announce Major Opponent for First Game - Orlando SeaWolves
- Tropics Extend Contract for Fan Favorite, Captain, Assistant Coach Freddy Moojen to 2020 - Florida Tropics SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- GOAL Program Launched, Local Students Can Earn Free Tickets to 2018-19 Tropics Games
- Tropics Sign Touloute Brothers for Upcoming MASL Season
- Tropics Officially Sign Veteran Defender Jose Birche
- Nine Saturday Home Games, Orlando Rival Showdowns Highlight 2018-19 MASL Schedule
- Tropics Partner with Lakeland Adult Soccer Org. to Form New and Improved Friday Night Men's League