Toros Today: RGVFC Hosts Toros Fest, Welcomes Patel
EDINBURG, Texas - As part of the club's preparations for the 2020 USL Championship season, the Rio Grande Valley FC Toros rallied the Valley by hosting their Major League Soccer partner, the Houston Dynamo, this past week in a preseason friendly.
The matchup gave an opportunity at live game action for those trying to fight for a spot with the Toros this season in the USL Championship, while also providing a chance for those already signed to the RGVFC roster the chance to impress the Dynamo's coaching staff.
Houston ran out the winner in impressive fashion after four 30-minute periods as former Toros player Michael Salazar scored twice for the Dynamo. But as impressive as the Dynamo's performance was the Valley crowd, which brought an electrifying energy to H-E-B Park for the occasion.
With the new season drawing closer, the Toros are eager to bring the same level of excitement in the stands throughout the 2020 season, starting with the club's home opener on Sunday, March 8 as it hosts the LA Galaxy II at H-E-B Park (Buy Season Tickets Here) (Buy Single Game Tickets Here).
PATEL GETS OFFICIAL WELCOME: On the Thursday night prior the scrimmage, the Toros unveiled their new 2020 kits during a Season Ticket Holder Mixer. Bringing together Toros season ticket members, sponsor partners, supporters group the Stampede, and Dynamo front office staff, the night also saw the introduction of RGVFC's new President, Ron Patel.
Patel, who last season was a key figure in the successful launch of the Championship's New Mexico United, met with media members as he discussed his goals and what may come in the future for the Toros.
"I come in open-minded about all the things that could happen. I believe that, yes, the soccer team is owned by an owner, but they belong to the community," Patel said. "So, my expectations are that this is a team for the Valley, and we are going to make it for the Valley."
The Toros' 2020 kits, meanwhile, will see the side wear a home kit that features an orange jersey with blue shorts, an all-black away kit, and a purple and lime green goalkeeper kit. Nature's Valley returns as the main jersey sponsor for a second season, while the back of the kits feature the Lone Star National Bank's logo as it continues to show its support for the Toros.
DYNAMO PRESEASON CALL-UPS: A handful of members of the Toros have been invited to join the Houston Dynamo as the club travels to Tucson, Arizona, to continue preseason preparations. The Dynamo re-invited Brownsville native Isidro Martinez, Nico Lemoine, Ben Willis and Andrew Samuels to be part of the Dynamo's participation in the Visit Tucson Sun Cup that kicks off this weekend.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 11, 2020
- Legion FC Preseason Schedule Information - Birmingham Legion FC
- Independence Return Former Loan Midfielder - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Callum Montgomery on Loan from FC Dallas - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Sign Trialist Ashkanov Apollon to First Team Contract - Sacramento Republic FC
- Dollar Beer Night Returns for 2020 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Midfielder, Louis "Chapa" Herrera Returns from Trial with 2019 MLS Supporters Shield Winners Los Angeles Football Club - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Toros Today: RGVFC Hosts Toros Fest, Welcomes Patel - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Louisville City Announces First Academy Cup Team - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.