Tomahawks Edged by Titans
The Johnstown Tomahawks fell just short to the New Jersey Titans by a final score of 5-4 Friday night in the final weekend of regular season NAHL hockey.
Michael Young got New Jersey on the board just 3:30 into the opening of the game, followed by a goal from Owen Luik just before the midway point to give the Titans a 2-0 lead after the first 20 minutes.
Johnstown responded in the second period as Nick Ahern netted his 15th goal of the season on the power play to put the Tomahawks on the board. The Titans responded with a power play goal of their own as Dominik Bartecko went bar down to regain the two-goal advantage for New Jersey. Less than a minute later, Drake Albers scored to make it a one-goal game again. Then with just 19.9 seconds remaining in the period, Anthony Galante netted his team-leading 25th goal of the season to tie the game at 3 going into the third period.
New Jersey took charge in the second period with two power play goals coming from Chris Battaini and Ben Yurchuk and gave themselves a 5-3 lead.
Ahern netted his second goal of the game with 2:39 remaining in regulation to make it a 5-4 New Jersey lead, prompting the Titans to use their timeout. New Jersey managed to keep possession of the puck, not allowing Johnstown to pull Rajalin-Scharp, running out the clock to win 5-4.
The Tomahawks and Titans face off again tomorrow night in the regular season finale at 1ST SUMMIT ARENA at 7 pm for Guns and Hoses Night, presented by MMI Door. Tickets can be purchased online at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2023
- Bugs' Late Comeback Falls Short to Rhinos - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Regular Season Wraps Up With Road Trip To Chippewa - Minnesota Wilderness
- Wilderness Close Out Home Schedule With Win Over Windigo - Minnesota Wilderness
- Tomahawks Edged by Titans - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Danbury Downs Maryland in a Shootout - Maryland Black Bears
- Rebels Comeback Falls Short in Maine - Philadelphia Rebels
- Wolverines Take on Brown Bears in Kenai - Anchorage Wolverines
- Biggest Weekend of the Year + Silent Auction - Bismarck Bobcats
- A Letter from Jets President Bill McCoshen - Janesville Jets
- Regular Season Comes to an End in South Dakota with St. Cloud in an Enviable Position - St. Cloud Norsemen
- Weekend Preview - Minot Minotauros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.