Titans Fall In Semifinals, 15-10 - OurSports Central

NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Titans Fall In Semifinals, 15-10

May 8, 2010 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) - Orlando Titans News Release

ORLANDO, Fla. (May 8) -The Toronto Rock scored seven times in the third quarter, including five times in less than three minutes, to bust open a tight game and power their way into the Champion's Cup final with a 15-10 road win over the Orlando Titans.

Toronto went to 11-7 on the season and will face the winner of the Edmonton-Washington game in next week's championship. The Titans finished their first season in Orlando at 12-6.

The Titans took a 5-4 lead into the locker room, but it the lead would be short-lived. Blaine Manning would tie it at the 11:45 mark of the third, hitting a blast past Vinc. Less than 30 seconds later John Wasson would put Toronto up 6-5 a hot shot from the left wing. Action continued at a furious pace as Mike McLellan knotted it up at 6-6 at the 10:43 mark, taking a pass from Boyle and hitting a one timer over Watson's left shoulder.

But the wheels would then fall off for the Titans. Biernes would give Toronto its first lead since the second quarter, taking a pass and side-stepping two defenders to make it 7-6. Team captain Colin Doyle, the team's leading scorer, would then get on the board seconds later to up the lead to 8-6. LeBlanc would then lose his defender on the right side from Billings and hit an open shot in front of the net for a 9-6 lead at the 6:06 mark.

From there, Lablanc. Mike Hominuck and John Gilbert would all score goals and the rout was on.

For the game, McLellan led the Titans with a season-high four goals and an assist. Biernes had three goals for the Rock, while Billings, Manning and Leblanc had two goals each.

A well-played first quarter ended with Toronto holding a 3-2 lead. The Rock drew first blood when Kasey Biernes picked up a rebound in front of the net off a Stephan Leblanc missed shot and buried it past Matt Vinc for a 1-0 lead at the 7:56 mark.

Toronto would up the lead to 2-0 when LeBlanc converted from the left wing on a four-on-four situation at 4:45. Getting the extra man back on the field, the Titans would make it 2-1 on Pat Maddalena's second goal of the playoffs. But Toronto would quickly counter on a Garrett Billings' goal at 2:58 remaining in the first. Mike McLellan brought Orlando back to within one 20 seconds later, taking a pass from Ryan Boyle and beating Bob Watson to the left corner.

A transition goal by Greg Peyser a blast from behind the restraining line tied the score at 3-3 at 13:03 in the second.

Orlando had a chance to take its first lead of the game when it went a man-up on a tripping penalty, but Toronto picked up three big rebounds and kept the ball in the Titans end for the power play for all but 23 seconds of the two-minute penalty.

Maddalena would finally give Orlando the lead, taking a pass from Powell, rushing past his man and hitting a diving shot past Watson at the 5:37 mark. After winning the faceoff, Powell would give the Titans a two-goal lead just 20 seconds later hitting a bounce shot from inside the restraining line to make it 5-3.

With 1:28 remaining in the half, Biernes would draw the Rock to within one with his second mark of the game. After gaining possession with 31 seconds left, Toronto called timeout and pulled its goalie for an extra attacker, but Orlando blocked the shot. Bill Greer's desperation shot from midfield went in, but officials correctly ruled that the ball did not cross the goal line until after time expired and Orlando took a 5-4 lead into the locker room.

• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...

National Lacrosse League Stories from May 8, 2010

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Orlando Titans Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central