Thornton Helps Drive Cruise Past Clippers
GRAND RAPIDS (February 1, 2018) - Marcus Thornton scored 32 points as the Grand Rapids Drive (16-18) jumped on the Agua Caliente Clippers (16-18) early and came away with a 110-89 victory at home on Thursday night. In his second consecutive start, Thornton shot 14-of-19 from the field, made four three pointers and also recorded four steals.
Kay Felder also had easily his best game as a member of the Drive, scoring 24 points with seven assists. Also, KJ McDaniels scored 15 points in 22 minutes off the bench, recording five rebounds and three blocks. Landry Nnoko had 15 rebounds and Jamel Morris was the only other Drive player scoring in double-figures with 11 points.
James Michael McAdoo paced the Clippers, making 10-of-14 field goals and finishing with 24 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks. JJ O'Brien had 19 points as well and LaDontae Henton had 16 with seven rebounds.
Grand Rapids had a big advantage with their shooting from deep all game, as they made 15 threes to the Clippers' seven despite shooting only five more attempts. They finished the game at 44 percent from deep. They also out-rebounded the visitors 51 to 41 and connected on 44-of-89 field goal attempts for 49 percent on the night.
The game had four lead changes, but Agua Caliente never had a lead larger than one point. The Drive were up by 13 at the end of the first quarter and outscored the Clippers in each of the following three quarters as well. Thornton made all seven of his field goal attempts in the first 12 minutes for 17 points, nearly matching the Clippers' 18 total team points from the first quarter.
Now winners of two straight games, the Drive will look to keep it going as they host the Delaware 87 on Saturday night.
The Clippers head to Lakeland for a mathup with the Magic at 4 p.m. the same day.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 3, 2018
- Thornton Helps Drive Cruise Past Clippers - Grand Rapids Drive
- Johnathan Motley Named NBA G League Player of the Month - Texas Legends
- MAVERICKS ASSIGN KYLE COLLINSWORTH TO TEXAS LEGENDS - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Drive Stories
- Grand Rapids Drive's Landry Nnoko Named 2017-18 NBA G League Defensive Player of the Year
- Detroit Pistons Memorialize the Basketball Career of Zeke Upshaw with Honorary Call-Up
- Grand Rapids Drive Mourns the Passing of Zeke Upshaw
- Statement from Family of Zeke Upshaw
- Zeke Upshaw Update