Team USA Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Kessel Returns to the Riveters
Amanda Kessel (@AmandaKessel28), a member of gold medal-winning Team USA at the 2018 Winter Olympics, and a three-time NCAA champion and Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award winner with the University of Minnesota, is returning to the NWHL to play her second season for the Metropolitan Riveters. The high-scoring forward signed a one-year contract today to play for the defending Isobel Cup champions in 2018-19.
"I am excited to announce my return to the NWHL and the Metropolitan Riveters, the defending Isobel Cup champions," said Kessel, a native of Madison, Wisconsin. "We are coming off of one of the most exciting moments in U.S. women's hockey history with Team USA's Olympic gold medal victory and I want to keep this momentum going in the NWHL. I want the next generation of women's hockey players to see that a professional career in hockey is possible. The future for women's hockey and the NWHL is bright and I'm looking forward to what's to come."
With the Olympic Team, the 27-year-old Kessel scored in the shootout in USA's gold medal triumph over Canada in February. She won silver at the Olympics in 2014 and gold in 2013 and 2017 at the IIHF World Championships. Kessel's magnificent career at Minnesota was highlighted by winning the Kazmaier Award in 2013 and capturing NCAA titles in 2012, 2013 and 2016.
In 2016-17, her first season with the Riveters - who last September formed a strategic alignment with the NHL's New Jersey Devils - Kessel had 4 goals and 14 assists for 18 points in just 8 games. In the 2017 NWHL All-Star Game in Pittsburgh (held in partnership with the Penguins) Kessel was a captain, scored a hat trick and was named the game's MVP. Kessel could return to Pittsburgh, as the NWHL is planning a game there for the third consecutive year.
Off the ice, Amanda is working exclusively with lifestyle hockey brand, GONGSHOW, to create her own clothing line. To sign up for exclusive updates on the AK28 line visit www.amandakessel.com. One of the game's most popular players, Kessel led the NWHL in apparel sales in 2016-17. Her Riveters jersey and t-shirts are available now at NWHL.zone/shop.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from June 4, 2018
- Beauts Agree to Terms with Defenseman Chesson - Buffalo Beauts
- Team USA Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Kessel Returns to the Riveters - Metropolitan Riveters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Metropolitan Riveters Stories
- Ticket Ambassador Program Helps Local Elementary Schoolers Make Memories at Riveters' Home Opener
- Russo's Late-Game Heroics Lift Riveters over Boston for Dramatic First Win
- 2018 Isobel Cup Champion Metropolitan Riveters Host Home Opener Saturday at Prudential Center
- Riveters Take Center Stage in Home-Opening Weekend
- In Epic Battle, Lulea Defeats Riveters to Claim Historic First Champions Cup