Tacoma Fontaine named Baby Ruth Real Deal Offensive Player of the Week
March 23, 2004 - arenafootball2 (af2) News Release
CHICAGO - For the second consecutive week a former af2 player has earned an AFL weekly honor as Tacoma Fontaine was named the AFL Week 7 Baby Ruth Real Deal Offensive Player of the Week, the AFL League office announced today.
Fontaine (6-1, 185, Southwest Missouri State) earned Baby Ruth Real Deal Offensive Player of the Week by leading the Austin Wranglers (4-2) to a 70-58 victory over the Detroit Fury (2-4) on Thursday. In only his second AFL start, the former All-af2 performer hauled in seven receptions for a team-record 205 yards and five touchdowns. The rookie also returned three kicks for 31 yards giving him 235 all-purpose yards for the game. The victory set an Austin team record for points (70) in a game. This marks the first time that the former Bear has earned an AFL weekly honor.
An offensive catalyst for the Tulsa Talons during the 2003 season, Fontaine caught 93 passes for 1,229 yards and 30 touchdowns to lead the Talons receiving corps. In the 2003 ArenaCup Fontaine caught six passes for 110 yards and two touchdowns to help the Talons claim the title. He was fifth in af2 in scoring in 2003 (202 points) and was named to the ALL-af2 American Conference Second Team.
Fontaine is the second former af2 player to earn an AFL weekly award in as many weeks. New York's Lincoln Dupree was named the AFL U.S. Army Ironman of the Week last Tuesday.
Kicking off its Fifth Anniversary season this Saturday night, af2 serves as a grassroots, developmental Arena Football league for players, coaches and officials with 25 teams in small- to mid-size markets throughout the United States. af2 operates under the same Mission Statement and Fans' Bill of Rights as the AFL. Several former af2 coaches have joined AFL teams and more than 175 players have advanced to the AFL over the past four years.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from March 23, 2004
- Murray Ready for Season Opener - Central Valley Coyotes
- Steamwheelers Reassign Ruud - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Central Valley Coyotes game notes - Central Valley Coyotes
- Riptide to Honor Seau at Home Opener - San Diego Riptide
- Xtreme competition as Memphis kicks off 2004 training camp - Memphis Xplorers
- Talons sold to group of local investors - Tulsa Talons
- Law Inks Southern Distributing, Coors Light Beer Distributor Comes On Board - Laredo Law
- Single Game Tickets On Sale Friday - Arkansas Diamonds
- Firecats Open Preseason Camp - Florida Firecats
- Hawaiian Islanders Open Season Saturday at Central Valley - Hawaiian Islanders
- X-Fest to help kick off Xplorers season - Memphis Xplorers
- Tacoma Fontaine named Baby Ruth Real Deal Offensive Player of the Week - af2
- Blizzard revises practice schedule - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.