T2 Defeat Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - Closing out a three-match home stand, T2 defeated Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 Wednesday night at Providence Park. Dairon Asprilla and Modou Jadama each recorded their first goals of the USL season, while goalkeeper Kendall McIntosh registered five saves and his third shutout of 2018 as T2 handed Sacramento its first loss of the year.
T2 against Sacramento Republic FC
With the victory, T2 evened the all-time series against Sacramento at 4-4-0 in eight all-time matches between the two clubs. T2 improved to 3-2-0 against Sacramento in five matches in Portland. The two teams will face off against one another one more time in 2018, as Sacramento will play host to Portland at Papa Murphy's Park on Sept. 29 at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific).
T2 scored the opening goal of the match when defender Lamar Batista whipped in a cross from the left flank that picked out Asprilla. Knocking the ball down, Asprilla calmly tapped in from inside the six-yard box to give his side a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute.
Midfielder Marvin Loría, making his first start of 2018, was first to a loose ball in the penalty area, striking his shot on the half volley past the target in the 20th minute. Three minutes later, midfielder Eryk Williamson's delivery from a corner kick found Asprilla, whose powerful header just missed over the crossbar.
Continuing to threaten Sacramento's goal, Loría drove past two defenders on the left edge of the box, forcing a strong, diving save from Sacramento goalkeeper Josh Cohen at the near post in the 24th minute.
Fending off his marker on the edge of the penalty area, Asprilla's right-footed effort was saved by Cohen in the 35th minute.
Portland increased its lead to 2-0 in the 38th minute following a corner kick. Williamson delivered a pinpoint cross at the back post to an unmarked Jadama, who powered his header into the ground and past the outstretched arms of a diving Cohen. The assist marked Williamson's first of the season, as he finished the match with a game-high five chances created.
Just before halftime, Loría found forward Foster Langsdorf at the top of the penalty area. With two defenders closing him down, Langsdorf's shot from the center of the box was saved by Cohen in the 43rd minute. Three minutes later, Loria blasted a powerful shot from the edge of the 18-yard box that missed inches past the post.
In stoppage time, Williamson released Victor Arboleda into space behind the Sacramento defense, but his shot from the right edge of the penalty area struck the left post before second-half substitute Devyn Jambga's follow-up effort was fired over the crossbar.
Next up, Portland travels to face Saint Louis FC at Toyota Stadium in Fenton, Mo., on Saturday, May 5. Beginning at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match against Saint Louis FC will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Postgame Quote Sheet
Quotes with reaction to the match from head coach Cameron Knowles can be accessed when ready.
T2 (4-3-1, 13pts) vs. Sacramento Republic FC (4-1-3, 15pts)
May 2, 2018 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
T2 2 0 0
Sacramento 0 0 0
POR: Asprilla, 16
POR: Jadama (Williamson), 38
POR: Zambrano (Caution), 21
POR: Williams (Caution), 89
POR: GK McIntosh, D Mulligan, D Phillips ©, D Jadama, D Batista, M Zambrano (Lewis, 83), M Williamson, M Arboleda, M Langsdorf, M Loría (Jambga, 77), F Asprilla (Williams, 58)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mangels, D Elliot, D Hanson, M Enriquez
TOTAL SHOTS: 16 (Asprilla, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Asprilla, 2); FOULS: 11 (Arboleda, 5); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 5
SAC: GK Cohen, D Gomez, D Hall, D Taintor, D Schmidt, M Villarreal (Partain, 54) M Kneeshaw (Espino, 77), M Bijev, M Moffat, M Matjasic, F Eissele (Iwasa, 54)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Diaz, D McEntosh, D Rodriguez, D Seiler
TOTAL SHOTS: 19 (Bijev, 6); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Bijev, 2); FOULS: 10 (Gomez, 3); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 3
Referee: Mark Allatin
Assistant Referees: CJ Koll, Justin St. Pierre
4th Official: Lucas Brooks
Weather: Partly cloudy, 73 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 3, 2018
- Preview & Notes: Saturday - Cinco de Mayo Soccer Party Takes over Cashman Field - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Indy Eleven Hosts Louisville City FC - Indy Eleven
- Toronto FC II vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC Match Preview - Rochester Rhinos
- Preview: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at Toronto FC II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- LouCity Travels to Indy for First-Ever USL Meeting at Lucas Oil Stadium - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Western Conference Leaders Orange County SC - USL
- T2 Defeat Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers 2
- Portland Hands Republic FC First Loss of 2018 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Indy Eleven Fall in 2-3 Thriller against FC Cincinnati - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers 2 Stories
- T2 to Play 2019 USL Championship Home Opener at Merlo Field against Las Vegas Lights FC on March 23
- T2 2018 Campaign Comes to An End in USL Cup Western Conference Quarterfinals
- T2 Earn 1-0 Road Victory over Phoenix Rising FC in Regular-Season Finale Saturday Night
- T2 Fall 2-0 to Reno 1868 FC at Merlo Field Wednesday Night
- T2 Fall 1-0 to Sacramento Republic FC Saturday