Strong second and third quarter performance secures win
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - The National Lacrosse League's (NLL) Minnesota Swarm (8-8) clinched a home playoff game after defeating the Colorado Mammoth (6-10) 12-8 on Treasure Island Field at Xcel Energy Center in front of 9,623 fans during its final regular season game on Saturday night.
After sweeping the regular season series against the Mammoth, Minnesota will now host its first home playoff game since 2008 when it takes on the defending champion Washington Stealth (8-8) in a Divisional Semifinal match up on Saturday, April 30 at 7:30 p.m. CDT on Treasure Island Field at Xcel Energy Center.
The Swarm sits at 2-1 against the Steath in regular season play. Minnesota defeated Washington 16-8 on Friday, Jan. 14 in Everett and 11-10 in an overtime victory at home on Saturday, Jan. 29 The Swarm fell to the Stealth in a 16-15 overtime loss at Comcast Arena at Everett on Saturday, April 9 when the two teams last met.
During the Swarm's last trip to the playoffs in 2010, Minnesota fell 14-10 in the first round of playoffs to the Stealth.
Leading the Swarm, F Ryan Benesch (3g, 5a) finished the 2011 regular season as the NLL overall points leader with 95 points. He also led the league with 46 goals. He was the only player in the league to record more than 45 goals and assists. Benesch earned the first scoring crown in team history and tallied a career-high in both points and goals.
After trailing the Mammoth 4-2 after the first quarter, Minnesota scored 10 unanswered goals to secure the win.
Forward John Grant (1g, 4a) led Colorado with five points. Goalies Chris Levis and Matt King made a combined 33 saves on 45 shots.
Lower level tickets for the Swarm's home playoff game can be purchased for as low as $24. Ticket packages are available online at mnswarm.com or by calling 888-MN-SWARM. Ticket packages will also be available for the playoffs on ticketmaster.com at 10 a.m. on Sunday, April 24.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 23, 2011
- Strong second and third quarter performance secures win - Minnesota Swarm
- Mammoth Drop Regular-season Finale In Minnesota - Colorado Mammoth
- Rochester Ends Regular Season With Impressive Win - Rochester Knighthawks
- Knighthawks Activate Fines and Ruys - Rochester Knighthawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton