STLFC Academy U19 Team Advances to USSDA Quarterfinals
OCEANSIDE, Ca. - The Saint Louis FC U19 Academy team opened play last week, along with 31 other teams, in the Group Stage of the 2019 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs. The STLFC U19s qualified for the USSDA Playoffs for a second successive year and were drawn into a difficult group which included the New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, and Real Colorado.
The first match against Real Colorado saw the U19s win 4-1 with goals scored by Jeremiah Collins (2), Joey Maher and STLFC first-team member Jansen Miller. In Match 2, Saint Louis FC faced the New England Revolution U19s who were in a must-win situation having dropped their first match after playing a man down for most of the match. After absorbing a great deal of pressure from a very talented attacking side, STLFC midfielder Jeremiah Collins earned a penalty in the 55th minute which was converted by another STLFC first-team member, Kippy Keller. Jeremiah Collins would then secure all three points in the 90th minute with his third goal of the playoffs.
Entering into the final match, Saint Louis FC would advance with a win, draw or loss that did not cover the goal differential. New York Red Bulls, on the other hand, had to win by three in order to advance. With that urgency behind them, Red Bull threw everything they could at the Saint Louis FC side in a hard-fought match which saw chances on both ends. The only chances converted, however, were a pair of penalties for New York Red Bulls in the 22nd and 90th minutes.
Earning six points from three matches saw Saint Louis FC top their group and advance to the knock-out stages of the competition as one of eight remaining teams. This is the first time in club history that Saint Louis FC has advanced to the USSDA Quarterfinals and they will face Sporting KC Academy U19s today, June 24th at 6:00 p.m. CT in Oceanside, California.
"These young men have set a new standard which will inspire future Saint Louis FC Academy players to strive to attain the same," said STLFC Academy Director Blake Decker. "We are extremely proud of this group, proud of what they have achieved thus far and strongly believe that they still have much more to show."
The game will be available live on YouTube.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 24, 2019
- Reno 1868 FC Travels to Oregon to Take on Portland Timbers 2 - Reno 1868 FC
- Preview: Nashville SC and New York to Face off in Battle of Top Two Offenses in East - Nashville SC
- Three Things: Bethlehem 1 - 2 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Charleston Battery Sign Local Academy Product James Cox - Charleston Battery
- Nashville SC Will Look for Tweaks After Solid Outing in 3-3 Draw vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Nashville SC
- STLFC Academy U19 Team Advances to USSDA Quarterfinals - Saint Louis FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.