Soul Unable to Finish Opportunities, Lose Battle against Wave
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Soul (2-8) made strong efforts against the Milwaukee Wave (4-2), but were unable to capitalize on opportunities, resulting in a 9-2 loss at the Sears Centre Arena on Friday. The defending champions led the whole way, drawing offensive power from four different scorers.
The first quarter featured a lone goal from Milwaukee as Luan Oliveira converted on a power play to give the Wave a 2-0 lead over the Soul. The second quarter saw more action from the Wave when Hewerton found the back of the net to make it a 4-0 Milwaukee advantage, and Chicago headed into halftime trailing by four.
The third quarter opened up slow as both teams remained scoreless until Milwaukee's Marco Leite found a late opportunity and fired in a ball from the three-point range, allowing the Wave to take a 7-0 lead heading into the fourth.
The Soul finally managed to get on the board in the final period of play when Chile Farias blasted the ball past Milwaukee goalkeeper Nick Vorberg, cutting Chicago's deficit to 7-2. The Wave extended the lead back to seven when Joe Hammes found the net on a pass from Leite in the final minutes, and the Soul dropped for the fourth consecutive game.
"We gave up a lot of cheap goals," said Soul Head Coach Novi Marojevic. "We had a lot of chances. If you don't capitalize on chances against teams like MIlwaukee, they're going to beat you. We came out sloppy in the third quarter, and we just couldn't find a way to put the game away."
The Soul will now prepare to host the undefeated Baltimore Blast on Friday, December 21 at the Sears Centre Arena. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. CT. For ticket information, call (224) 699-4110.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from December 14, 2012
- Soul Unable to Finish Opportunities, Lose Battle against Wave - Chicago Soul FC
- Comets Unable to Solve Syracuse - Kansas City Comets
- Knights Slay Comets - Syracuse Silver Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Soul FC Stories
- Soul Eliminated from Playoffs as Blast Collect 10-7 Victory
- Soul set out for redemption in Baltimore
- Soul Beaten by Blast in Game One of Semifinals
- Soul prepare for first-round playoff matchup against Blast
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights