Soul Fall 14-9 to Wave
MILWAUKEE, WI -- The Chicago Soul got off to a promising start, but failed to hang on in the second half, resulting in a 14-9 loss to the MISL defending champion Milwaukee Wave at the U.S. Cellular Arena on Saturday night.
The Soul opened up the scoring by capitalizing on a power play late in the first quarter. Bato Radoncic took a clean pass from Alexander Megson and found the back of the net to give Chicago a 2-0 head start on Milwaukee.
The Soul extended the lead when Christian Meza fired one in from the three-point range with 5 seconds remaining on a Chicago power play, and the Soul closed out the half with a 5-0 advantage over the Wave.
The third quarter saw a dominant Milwaukee team. Tom Oatley sparked a run for the Wave after putting his side on the board for the first time in the game. Nick Perera followed up with another goal to bring the game within one. Luan Oliviera then scored to give the Wave their first lead of the night, 6-5.
The fourth quarter opened up with another goal by Oliviera, and the Wave extended their lead to 8-5 over the Soul. Radoncic retaliated with his second goal of the night to make it a 8-7 Soul deficit, but Marcelo Fontana opened the gap back up to 10-7 with a goal for the Wave. Milwaukee's Pablo then added to the lead, making it a 12-7 Wave advantage. The Soul made strong attempts to rally as they pulled in a 6th attacker. Megson was able to capitalize as he found the back of the net, and the Soul cut the Wave's lead to 12-9. However, the Wave put the game back out of reach on a goal by Jonathan Greenfield, and the Soul dropped 14-9.
"We played two great quarters, and then fell apart with mistakes in the second half," said Soul Head Coach Manny Rojas. "We allowed too many goals, didn't play good defense. We have to get better on defense."
The Soul will look to turn things around as they get ready to play at home for the first time on Friday night against the Rochester Lancers. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. CT at the Sears Centre Arena. For ticket information, please call (224) 699-4110.
• Discuss this story on the Major Indoor Soccer League message board...
Major Indoor Soccer League Stories from December 1, 2012
- Soul Fall 14-9 to Wave - Chicago Soul FC
- Miller Has Record Night in Lancers Win over Comets - Rochester Lancers
- Comets Lose High Scoring Affair - Kansas City Comets
- Knights & Lancers to Battle at War Memorial Sunday - Syracuse Silver Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Soul FC Stories
- Soul Eliminated from Playoffs as Blast Collect 10-7 Victory
- Soul set out for redemption in Baltimore
- Soul Beaten by Blast in Game One of Semifinals
- Soul prepare for first-round playoff matchup against Blast
- Soul Clinch MISL Playoff Berth with Win over Silver Knights