Sky Blue FC Defender Christina Gibbons Announces Retirement
Tinton Falls, N.J. - Sky Blue FC defender Christina Gibbons has announced her retirement from professional soccer.
Gibbons, 24, was acquired by Sky Blue in a trade with the Utah Royals on December 29, 2017. This past season Gibbons played in 18 matches, starting in 16 of them.
Prior to her time with Sky Blue, Gibbons was a member of the former FC Kansas City.
Selected No. 5 overall in the 2017 NWSL College Draft, Gibbons started 23 of 24 matches in her rookie campaign, registering the most minutes of any player on the roster. That same year Gibbons scored one goal and registered three assists to aid in Kansas City's attack.
In between her time in Kansas City and New Jersey, Gibbons played for the Melbourne Victory of Australia's W-League. A graduate of Duke University, she has also made appearances for the United States as part of both the U-20 and U-23 U.S. WNT.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from January 14, 2019
- Seattle Reign FC Acquires Forward Shea Groom in Trade with Sky Blue FC - Reign FC
- Sky Blue FC Adds Veteran Depth in Midfield with Naho Kawasumi - Sky Blue FC
- Washington Spirit Signs Defender Megan Crosson - Washington Spirit
- North Carolina Courage Sign Two-Time NWSL Coach of the Year Paul Riley to Multi-Year Contract - North Carolina Courage
- Sky Blue FC Defender Christina Gibbons Announces Retirement - Sky Blue FC
- Orlando Pride Appoints Marc Skinner as Head Coach - Orlando Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.