Sky Blue FC Acquires Ifeoma Onumonu from Reign FC
Howell, NJ - Sky Blue FC of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) has acquired forward Ifeoma Onumonu from Reign FC in exchange for the rights to Julia Ashley.
Onumonu, 25, joins Sky Blue FC after making a playoff run with Reign FC in 2019. She finished the 2019 season with 21 appearances (eight starts), playing 1,035 minutes, scoring three goals and notching one assist. Onumonu, who subbed on in the 80th minute of the 2019 NWSL Semi-final against the Courage, scored the equalizer in the third minute of second half stoppage time.
Onumonu was selected eighth overall by the Boston Breakers in the 2017 NWSL College Draft and appeared in 18 matches (three starts) her rookie season, notching one assist. Selected by the Portland Thorns in the 2018 NWSL Dispersal Draft, she appeared in eight matches (three starts).
A product of the University of California-Berkeley, Onumonu played in 82 matches for the Golden Bears, finishing with 33 goals and 17 assists and earned All-Pac First Team honors in 2012 and 2016.
Sky Blue FC will be kicking off its inaugural season at Red Bull Arena in 2020 with Season Ticket Memberships on sale now at SkyBlueFC.com.
Age: 25 (02/25/1994)
Hometown: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
College: University of California - Berkeley
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Thorns FC Acquire Rights to Defender Christen Westphal in 2020 NWSL Draft Day Trade with Reign FC - Portland Thorns FC
- Sky Blue FC Acquires Ifeoma Onumonu from Reign FC - Sky Blue FC
- Reign FC Acquires Rights to Julia Ashley in Trade with Sky Blue FC - Reign FC
- Houston Dash Acquires MF Maegan Kelly - Houston Dash
- Reign FC Appoints Benstiti as Head Coach - Reign FC
- Utah Royals FC Trio Named to USWNT Olympic Qualifying Roster - Utah Royals FC
- Lavelle, Sullivan Named to USWNT 2020 Olympic Qualifying Roster - Washington Spirit
- Carli Lloyd Named to Roster for 2020 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament - Sky Blue FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Allocated Three Players from U.S. Soccer and Canada Soccer
- Sky Blue FC Re-Signs Midfielder Elizabeth Eddy
- Sky Blue FC Announces 2020 Home Opener at Red Bull Arena
- Sky Blue FC Ownership Group Grows with Addition of Ed Nalbandian
- Sky Blue FC Announces Move to New York Red Bulls Training Facility