Shock Top Final Coaches Poll of 2008
July 23, 2008 - arenafootball2 (af2) News Release
CHICAGO - The Spokane Shock maintained the No. 1 ranking in the final Weekly Coaches Poll of the 2008 season, the arenafootball2 (af2) league office announced today. This marks the fourth consecutive week Spokane has claimed the pole position and seventh time overall. The Shock collected 443 of a possible 448 points and 24-of-29 first place votes in securing the top spot. Spokane improved to 14-1 with an impressive 78-51 home victory in Week 17 against the Quad City Steamwheelers. The Shock, who have already clinched the No. 1 seed in the National Conference, conclude the regular season this Saturday when the squad hosts Boise (8-7). Another Spokane win would ensure the team its best regular season finish in team history.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (13-2, 423 points, 5 first place votes) won its sixth straight game last week at Mahoning Valley, 62-33, to finish at No. 2 overall. The Pioneers' victory secured them the No. 1 playoff seed in the American Conference. The No. 3-ranked South Georgia Wildcats (11-4, 380 points) also earned their sixth consecutive win with a 54-40 road triumph at Peoria. The Arkansas Twisters (10-5, 337 points) and Tulsa Talons (11-4, 324 points) round out the Top-5 at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively. The Talons, currently a game ahead of the Twisters in the Central Division, can clinch their seventh straight division crown with a win Saturday night at Iowa. An Arkansas win coupled with a Tulsa loss would give the Twisters their first-ever division title.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 23, 2008
- Firecats Partner with Herocare to Benefit Widman Family - Florida Firecats
- Week 18 Thursday Night Matchup - af2
- Burn Control Their Own Destiny - Boise Burn
- Wolves Receivers Set Franchise Record; Playoff Bound Team Faces Corpus Christi Sharks Saturday - Manchester Wolves
- Spotlight on Vernard Abrams - Albany Firebirds
- Reese, Denney and Willis Earn Week 17 Honors - af2
- Shock Top Final Coaches Poll of 2008 - af2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.