SD Loyal Raises $10,000 for the Association of African American Educators Following BLM Initiatives
San Diego, CA - Today, San Diego Loyal SC (SD Loyal) announces the presentation of a $10,000 check to The Association of African American Educators (AAAE), an organization that advocates for equity in education within the ethnically diverse pupil population of San Diego County. Donation funds were raised with the help of the community through the game-worn "Black Lives Matter" jersey auction and percentage of sales from specific items at "The Shop at San Diego Loyal".
In addition to the check presentation, SD Loyal unveiled its new items to their lifestyle apparel collection, "Together San Diego". The collection, made up of a track jacket, scarf and two face masks, will continue to raise funds and awareness around the importance of fighting social injustice by supporting relevant causes.
"We, as a club that stands for diversity and the word 'Loyal', have a responsibility to use our voice and put words into action to ensure our community is heard and supported," said SD Loyal Chairman, Andrew Vassiliadis. "We couldn't have picked a better organization to partner with during our inaugural season and with our new line, 'Together San Diego', fans can literally wear their pride on their chest and show we stand together."
The funds raised for AAAE will help promote increased understanding and valuing of African American history and culture. The organization also helps interpret to the broader community the needs and desires of the African American community as they relate to educational matters, and conversely, interpret and clarify for the African American community, the goals and policies related to students of African descent of the greater San Diego County school districts.
"The Association of African American Educations is very thankful and grateful for this donation, but even more so for our partnership with the San Diego Loyal Soccer Club," said AAAE Director of Communications and Media, Tamara Muhammad. "Your dedication and support of educators and students is unmatched. As we navigate through this chaotic time in our nation's history, it gives us great pleasure to say we have community partners such as SD Loyal to help us with our work towards equity in education."
Shop the collection at the club's storefront in Mission Valley or online at sdloyal.com/theshop.
Fans are encouraged to stay connected by downloading the official team app or signing up for updates and news via SDLoyal.com and #SDLoyal.
For more information, please visit sdloyal.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 22, 2021
- Around the Leagues: U.S. Women's National Team Eyeing Second Win this Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- SD Loyal Raises $10,000 for the Association of African American Educators Following BLM Initiatives - San Diego Loyal
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Fourth Academy Signing, Los Alamos Native Jamie Terrazas - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Marcus Epps - San Antonio FC
- Two Quails Called into National Team Camp - Sacramento Republic FC
- Hartford Athletic Signs Defender Thomas Janjigian - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Loyal Stories
- A Set of Wins against College Teams
- SD Loyal Unveils "Leal Sin MurosÃ¢ÂÂ Initiative to Celebrate the LatinX Community and Unite Cali-Baja Region Through Soccer
- Preseason Continued in the Emerald City against MLS Powerhouse
- SD Loyal Signs Four Local Youth Academy Talents
- Preparation Match with USL Championship Taste