San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Returns for 2019 Season
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC has added 17-year-old Ethan Bryant to the club's 2019 roster pending league and federation approval, the team announced today. Bryant's registration with SAFC as a USL Academy Player allows him to continue to play in competitive matches without potentially jeopardizing future college eligibility.
"Ethan had a very good first year with us last year," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. "He is a product of our academy through our Elite Training Program and he developed leaps and bounds last season. We expect the same from him this year as he is now a year older and wiser and knows what to expect at the professional level. We look forward to having Ethan back with the team in 2019."
Bryant made his professional debut in 2018, becoming the youngest player to ever appear for the club in its history. The San Antonio native appeared in 10 USL matches for SAFC while compiling 815 total minutes and recording three assists on the season, which were tied for the third most on the roster. On Sept. 29, 2018, Bryant became the youngest goalscorer in San Antonio FC history - 17 years, one month, nine days -- recording his first professional goal against the Seattle Sounders FC 2. The midfielder also appeared in one Open Cup match, playing in 120 minutes as SAFC advanced past the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in the third round.
Bryant was originally discovered by SAFC after participating in the club's Elite Training Program. After having the chance to train under the observation of the SAFC technical staff, Bryant was first invited to train with the first-team throughout the 2017 USL season. Prior to being added to the San Antonio roster in 2018, Bryant played his club soccer with Classic Elite Soccer Club in San Antonio while also participating in the 2015 U.S. Soccer Futures Camp.
"I am very excited to be back in San Antonio this year," said Bryant. "I'm aiming to make an impact as a player from beginning to end this season. We have a young and talented squad that has a lot of goals this year. I learned a lot in my rookie season and I look forward to getting better and contributing more in 2019."
The SAFC Elite Training Program falls under the SAFC Pro Academy umbrella and is designed to be another collaborative effort between San Antonio FC and all San Antonio greater area youth soccer clubs. The ETP provides additional technical programming for boys and serves as an identification and development program for future SAFC Pro Academy players at multiple age groups.
San Antonio FC is currently preparing for the upcoming USL season, and fans can purchase 2019 season tickets by calling the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657 or by visiting SanAntonioFC.com. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC), Instagram (@sanantoniofc) and Snapchat (SanAntonioFC).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 16, 2019
- Indy Eleven Sign DC United Forward Dane Kelly - Indy Eleven
- Head Coach McGuinness Welcomed by Irish Ambassador to the United States, Daniel Mulhall - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC to Travel to Birmingham for Legion's Inaugural Home Game - Nashville SC
- Energy FC Sign Striker Christian Eissele - OKC Energy FC
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Ethan Bryant Returns for 2019 Season - San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Single Game Tickets Now on Sale - Austin Bold FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw vs. Tulsa
- San Antonio FC Looks to Build on Five-Match Unbeaten Streak at Home
- San Antonio FC Launches SAFC Youth Club Affiliate Network
- San Antonio FC Advances to Third Round of Open Cup After Win over Laredo Heat SC
- Carson Price Joins San Antonio FC